X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio SDS-1

hey guys

i was hoping u could tell me a little bit about this pickup

i seem to be reading conflicting reports about whether it is a single coil or a humbucker

and whether its meant to be like a Super D Jnr, or meant to be closer to a P90 sound

any info on this would be great

Ishan
    Guitars:
    Ernie Ball/Music Man Sillhouette Special (custom wound Blue Velvets, JB bridge), Ibanez RG3120 (PAFPro neck, Tone Zone), Gibson V (Seth in Neck, C5 in bridge), Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (Stock)
    Amps:
    Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulcass Head, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Boogie 50/50, Trace Elliot Tramp

Re: Dimarzio SDS-1

The SDS-1 is a single coil, does tend to sound a bit more like a soapbar then a single coil ... if your looking for a single coil classic glassy and airy tone, that ain't the one to get, essentially it's an overwound single coil but built like a HB, meaning it has adjustable polepieces, I must assume a magnet structure the same as an HB as well (never had one outsie of a guitar to check). But it is a real single coil ... I kinda always thought that SDS actually stood for super distortion single , but I don't know for sure about the name.
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Re: Dimarzio SDS-1

Ah... the DiMarzio SDS-1: My absolute favorite bridge single coil pickup EVER. It has been the bridge pickup of my #1 strat for years (after trying a MILLION pickups including Texas Specials, stacked singles, Hot Rails, etc). The SDS-1 is amazing and no one really knows about them. Ha ha.

The SDS-1 is a true single coil, but as said above, is designed differently than a standard "Fender" style single whose pole pieces ARE the magnets.

The SDS-1 has a ceramic magnet underneath the bobbins (like a humbucker) and has adustable hex style pole pieces.

The sound is very warm, rich, full and beautiful - while still sounding like a single coil. Throw all pre-conceived notions about ceramic magnets out the window when talking about this pickup. It is creamy, warm - not harsh or shrill at ALL. Yet still sounds like a single. It's a fine line to walk, and it performs amazingly.

If your Strat's bridge position is too thin and small sounding, the SDS-1 could be the answer to your dreams, especially if you don't want to put a single sized humbucker in there. Those single sized humbuckers are MUCH MUCH louder than your regular ol' singles and there can be serious volume and balance problems when switching from the ...nice pretty single.... to the... !!!! LOUD HUMBUCKER !!!!!

The SDS-1 is louder and has a TON of mids, but not as radical a boost as most HB's.

In my case the SDS-1 was much warmer than the other pickups (Texas Specials) in the guitar. But it sounded so good that I was willing to change some of the other pickups to balance it out.

I ended up with a DiMarzio Red Velvet in the neck, the "neck position" Texas Special in the middle (yes, you read that right), and the SDS-1 in the bridge.

By the way the guitar is an '91 alder bodied USA Standard Strat. The guitar is balanced, clear, warm - and still sounds like a strat. It's not like putting Hot Rails in place of the singles for more output.

Keep in mind though if you are a player who uses tons of distortion, the SDS-1 is a SINGLE COIL. You WILL get 60 cyle hum like any other single coil with too much gain.

From what I understand, DiMarzio has discontinued the SDS-1, further adding to it's "mystique". I believe you can still get them from them if you call. But it is no longer a "production" pickup.

Cheers.
      Last edited by Mac-P; 08-27-2004, 11:47 AM.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
      buggjuice.net
      MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
      X