Pickups for The Darkness Tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for The Darkness Tone

Hi guys im gonna get me a epiphone les paul custom ( alpine white) but i really like the darkness tone that the leader singer (the guys who does all those solos) has its sounds so nice. I thiink he uses stock pick ups in his white gibson custom les paul, but know epiphones are not as good as gibsons, so what pick ups would i need to nail that tone? Would a jb/59 combo hit it? or a 59/59 combo? thanks alot for your help guys. Please dont make fun of me but i love the darkness they are so awesome and entertaining. PLus those solos rip, you can't tell me they dont have talent ( unlike tom delonge who i've been made fun of for thinking to be a cool guitarist) Justin Hawkins is an amazing guitarist!...well enough rambling ok.....
    Proud Master of Strats.....

Re: Pickups for The Darkness Tone

You're quite right: Justin is a very talented guitarist (as is his often overlooked brother Dan). Getting that lead sound will be quite difficult to match given his rig of dual rectifiers, however, you might be able to get close. I would recommed using the stock gibson pickups (490R neck, 498T bridge), as I don't think another combination will "compensate" for not having that real les paul - rather just move you further away.
    Last edited by Jonny C; 03-28-2004, 11:34 AM.
    Gibson Les Paul w/ Seths. Strung with EB 12's
    Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI
    Arbiter Fuzz Face, Fulltone Fatboost, Crybaby, Voce Spin II

Comment

for duncans.....id say probably a C5/59 combo would be nice......or course the amp would be the deciding factor
      http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
      >cord<
      1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

The C-5 will get you there...i was playing "i believe in a thing called love" yesterday with my Schecter C-1+ with C-5 bridge and '59 neck. Sounded awesome. I am replacing the '59 with a Pearly Gates, so the '59 is up for sale if your interested. I have both a '59 bridge and neck for sale, new condition. PM me if your interested.
        PRS Singlecuts
        Epiphone Sheraton II
        Vintage acoustics

Comment

Actually for justin's solos he uses a boss turbo disstortion in front of a JCM 800 and the Mesas for rhythm...
          Marshall JVM 410C
          Mesa Boogie DC-3
          ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
          1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
          2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
          2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
          1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
          2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
          1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

just a thought what if i elft the epiphone les paul custom stock? Wuld it come remotely close? or be horrible sounding that will sqeek and make horrible noises?

Comment

Ditto here. I use a 79 LP Custom which is loaded with a Custom 5 bridge and a 59 neck. I use a Boogie DC-5 combo with a Fulltone Distortion Pro, and I can get that sticky-sweet lead tone of Justin's.

Don't count this band out. I would love to hear their next album produced by Mutt Lange! I think that would be the formula for them.
              Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

So say I coulnd't afford the c-5/59 combo right away would i be able to sound even close with the epiphone custom LP being completely stock?

Comment

Originally posted by y2stevo
                  Actually for justin's solos he uses a boss turbo disstortion in front of a JCM 800 and the Mesas for rhythm...
                  I was just about to say that
                  My Soundclick page.

Comment

Ants or Seth Lovers do it for me...A3 magnet in the neck and A5 in the bridge.

Comment

Working...
                    X