banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you fit a mini-humbucker in a full size humbucker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you fit a mini-humbucker in a full size humbucker?

I was wondering if you could fit a mini-humbucker in a full size humbucker? I play on a jackson slsmg soloist and I was thinking about taking out the emg-hz's that came with it and putting a hot rail in the neck and a duncan distortion in the bridge. Can I do that? Any suggestions for what I should put in? I'll be playing metal. Thanks

Re: Can you fit a mini-humbucker in a full size humbucker?

for something like that i would call MJ in the custom shop. they could probably make a full sized bucker that sounds like the hotrails or they could probably tell you a production line pickup that would be close to the sound you are looking for.
    Cleveland Guitars

Comment

get the sustainiac system...thats what kerry king uses for his tremolo.
      www.sustainiac.com, a bit pricy, but you can still put a mini humbucker next to the driver. not to mention the possibilites it opens up on the guitar.

Comment

what does the sustainiac do? something like the e-bow? just so that you can install it into a guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
          what does the sustainiac do? something like the e-bow? just so that you can install it into a guitar?
          I think it's kind of like an e-bow yeah.

Apparantly mounting a single coil size humbucker next to it is a pain in the arse though - you have to cut the 'ears' off the coil, and you need to cut the front part of the coil off also (where the ends of the coils attach to the wires you solder up to the switch etc). This is apparantly also a pain because the coil wires are quite fine.

I'm guessing you could probably put a single coil size humbucker under a full size humbucker cover - didn't some budget guitars years back have single coil pickups hidden under humbucker covers?

Comment

Originally posted by southadc
            didn't some budget guitars years back have single coil pickups hidden under humbucker covers?
            indeed they did and do .. a friend of mine brought me a les paul copy. said his pups make too much noise and squeeled (figured i'd wax pot them) opened em up and to my suprise under the gold cover there was a single coil heh

Comment

BTW, a Hot Rail (and a Cool Rail, and the Lil/Jr series) are humbuckers made to fit single coil (strat) cavities. Mini humbuckers are what you would find in a LP Deluxe or a Firebird. They are very different things.
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Therevilroot-

Ignore what everybody else said and get one of these

they only cost about 5 bucks and you can get one here--

Comment

cool, thanks for the feedback. Would it even be worth putting a the hot rail in the humbucker space? Or could i possibly wire two hotrails together? Or would that be way too much output?
                  Last edited by thereveilleroot; 08-26-2004, 10:57 PM.

Comment

too much output man. You'd overpower your bridge pickup way too much. I've mounted a hotrails in the humbucker route, and you dont have to change anything, except take out the humbucker.
                    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Yes, you can. I mounted two Firebird-style minis inside humbucker covers, it works fine. I got the covers from Allparts (they are solid, no holes for polepieces).

I had to notch the bottom edges of the cover ends to clear the mounting tabs for the minis. I put some silicone glue on the tops of the minis, clamped them into the covers, then soldered the mounting tab edges to the notches in the covers. Works great!

Comment

Working...
                      X