Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invader in Mahogany?

Hey all,

I know a lot of people use Invaders in Strat-style guitars and other various thin-sounding guitars to get a metal tone, but what about in a mahogany bodied guitar? I've got a mahogany Schecter with Duncan HB-103's (Duncan Distortion clone) in it and compared to my Gibby LP Custom with a Distortion in it, it's thin and very weak. These pickups honestly sound more like the SH-5 Custom did when I had it in my Strat minus a quarter of the output.

Now I liked that sound, but this guitar has 7 strings and is meant to rip, and if this guitar, although mahogany is tonally closer to my Strat than my Les Paul, I think a pickup like an Invader or a Blaze Custom is more appropriate than, say, a JB, based on what I'm looking for. So, would putting an Invader in a mahogany bodied guitar just be stupid or what?

Re: Invader in Mahogany?

Some mahogany guitars like sg's have bright bridge positions and at times can sound shrill and thin, If you think the bridge position is lacking beefyness and crunch I would say the invader would work fine, also if your gat has a tremelo it tends to, sound more metallic and not as soild (woody) in the lows and mids. So consider that position first before you put it in. i think it could sound great. All depends on taste aswell if your after a metally sounding pickup or not.
    PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
    1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
    Blackstar HT-5
    2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
    Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Oh, well, seeing as this is going to be my #1 heavy axe I want something in the bridge that'll make people take notice right away when I hit a chord!

Playing regular power chords the sound is weak and thin - which surprised the $hit out of me for some reason - it sounded just like an SH-5 but weaker. Not the sound I'm looking for. Low B palm muted riffs sounded pretty good but needed more bassy "punch" as well as more output. It has good clarity but I'd be happy with just a little bit more of that too.

With the Invader I'm most worried about clarity and it's lead sound for soloing.

Comment

I have an Invader in my Gibson Explorer and It sounds great!

Comment

If you want heavy then why dont you check out emg or dimarzio i.e blaze etc? Duncan pickups tend to have less mids and more trebles (not counting the invader) and are alot more raw sounding than any other pickups ive heard. Id search on these forums for more info on the invader to get a betta idea or email the duncan website.
          Last edited by Dills; 08-26-2004, 07:13 PM.
          PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
          1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
          Blackstar HT-5
          2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
          Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

No emg - my guitar would need routing and I'm not touching that maple top!!!!

After some more sonic evaluation I like the sound of the bridge pickup - it's not quite what I described, but it's RAW and lacking some bass nonetheless. Essentially I have a Distortion in there and I like the sound (not scooped at all btw, I messed around with my eq a lot) but I'd prefer a tad more bass / lower mids and a tad less treble. Maybe a little less rawness / thinness to chords too.

I'd settle easily for a real Duncan Distortion, probably the Invader isn't right for this; the only Dimarzio's I can see fitting what I'm looking for in the bridge are the Blaze Custom and Evo - and they're very similar too.

The neck though, ugh, so un-articulate.

Comment

I have Invaders in an SG and a Dean Z Standard. Both sound incredible and are mahogany instruments. I think you'll be fine.
              www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Working...
              X