Duncan C-5 impressions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan C-5 impressions!

Well, I spent a lot of time with the C-5 in my Dean last night and as always I come back amazed. I am always amazed at how natural it sounds...no annoying frequencies and very smooth and organic. I hear guys say it is kind of bland and lacks an organic quality. I find it very rich and organic. I would say balanced, tight low end, creamy highs that are sharp and warm at the same time (not shrill). The mids are very natural sounding and kind of throaty. I swear they almost sound active at times because of the clarity and balance in a mahogany/maple topped guitar. Notes are clearly defined. Even thought the JB is very thick and juicy I never sensed this natural balance as wit hthe C-5. I think this could compete with the boutique pickups of the world. I always hear how much warmer boutique, hand wound p'ups happen tobe......having beter harmonic overtones, harmonics in general......but I think the C-5 has a lot of this mojo. Heck, for the price....who's complaining?

Now, if I can only get up the nerve to replace the BB Pro in my Les Paul with the C-5!! LOL!!

As a side note: Any recomendations on a neck p'up to match? I am not a big fan of the 59n, but maybe the PGn?

Thanks.

Re: Duncan C-5 impressions!

sounds cool papersoul .. yeah i dig my C5 too ... what is it that you dont like about the 59n? if you give us a hint, maybe we can recommend a good match ...

the PGn, or AIIPn would both be good if you like the alnico 2 mag tonality

cheers,
    t4d
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days
      sounds cool papersoul .. yeah i dig my C5 too ... what is it that you dont like about the 59n? if you give us a hint, maybe we can recommend a good match ...

the PGn, or AIIPn would both be good if you like the alnico 2 mag tonality

cheers,
      t4d
      I find the 59n muddy for fast high gain leads. My BB Pro is much more articulate.

Comment

ah, i know that the JAZZ neck is said to be very articulate .. good luck in your search
        cheers,
        t4d
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

I have a PGn/C5b combo in my LP & LOVE IT!!!

I wish I had some clips to share with you, but for what my opinion is worth, I love it!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
          Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
          FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
          http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
            I have a PGn/C5b combo in my LP & LOVE IT!!!

I wish I had some clips to share with you, but for what my opinion is worth, I love it!
            Thanks, does it have a nice singing lead tone in the neck? Clear?

Comment

Go with the Jazz neck!! I'm amazed at how good it sounds. I didn't think it would be as clear as it is through high gain. And clean is where it really shines! But my favorite is how it sounds blended with the C5!!!

PRIMO COMBO!!
              1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
              1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
              2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
              Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
              Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Comment

I have a FSb and PGn combo. I find that the PGn does what I want it to do, which is full sounding, rock tone for leads. I DO NOT like it for shredding, though. Not articulate enough...but then, I didn't want it for that. I've heard that the Jazz neck is good for clarity, but I'll reserve an endorsement as I've never used it myself. Good luck!!

Farkus.
                2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Sorry, just one more thing. I'm using that combo in the guitar in my avatar. I'm THINKING of trying a C-5 in it...what do you think? Are they good pups for strat bridge. I've never used them, that's why I ask !

Thanks-Farkus

Comment

For an alder strat.....I think the best bridge humbucker is the TB-11 Custom Custom. I have tried the JB, Screamin Demon, Pearly Gates (these 3 were too thin sounding and not full) and a Rio Grande BBQ (great for overdrive and distortion but not enough high end definition and clarity) in my American Strat. The Custom Custom just seems to be a perfect match for it. I have never tried a TB-14 so I cant really give an opinion on how it would sound in an alder strat. I have a heavy metal strat which is made out of basswood which I am considering putting a TB-14 or TB-5 Custom in because the density of the wood seems to absorb the high end of the pickup. If you try the Custom 5....let me know how it sounds.

Comment

Actually, the strat is ASH, not alder...

Farkus

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
                        Thanks, does it have a nice singing lead tone in the neck? Clear?
                        I think the Pearly Gates gives a nicer cleaner tone than the description would imply. It can get down & dirty if you want it to, but it's a lot cleaner than I thought it would be....and that's a good thing! I think it's a nice match for the C5.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                        Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                        FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                        http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by Farkus
                          Sorry, just one more thing. I'm using that combo in the guitar in my avatar. I'm THINKING of trying a C-5 in it...what do you think? Are they good pups for strat bridge. I've never used them, that's why I ask !

Thanks-Farkus
                          Try the CC or the Rio BBQ. I like the BBQ quite a bit because of the fact that it is dark. I find most modern amps to be bright so it's nice to come across a pickup that doesn't over emphasize highs.

Comment

I love the 59b in the neck position. Have that in combo with a C5 in 2 different guitars. Its alil hotter than the 59n so it gives a great smokey blues tone and warm cleans..
                            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                            X