TWANGBANGER: first impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWANGBANGER: first impressions

well i got a twangbanger strat pickup and put it into my alder bodied maple necked strat

my first impression is that is it kick A S S........ its definately got some tele vibe to it, but id say its more of 50% tele/ 50% strong strat bridge pickup..... its got extended low mids and lowend in my observations...... and completely warm on top end......... all the spank and twang is in the mids........ no more thin weak strat bridge pickup sounds for me, this is totally stronger and fuller than the previous stock 6k fender bridge pickup that i have to compare it to

its definately a tad louder than the middle and neck pickups, and just "barks" more.......but its not compressed at all, still open and "vintage" sounding.......

on a side note, i think it is out of phase with my stock strat middle pickup, but the out of phase sound is kind of cool sounding to me........ i read that out of phase would make it thin and harsh.......but it gets kinda hollow and almost like a wah pedal halfway rocked when i combine it with the middle pickup, very strange sound, but very cool...and its has a noticeable drop in output, so its kind of good for strumming chords and what not, cause its not too loud

im very pleased with the twangbanger......check over in the tips and clips section soon, ill post some clips of it
    http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
    >cord<
    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Re: TWANGBANGER: first impressions

Originally posted by flank
    well i got a twangbanger strat pickup and put it into my alder bodied maple necked strat

my first impression is that is it kick A S S........ its definately got some tele vibe to it, but id say its more of 50% tele/ 50% strong strat bridge pickup..... its got extended low mids and lowend in my observations...... and completely warm on top end......... all the spank and twang is in the mids........ no more thin weak strat bridge pickup sounds for me, this is totally stronger and fuller than the previous stock 6k fender bridge pickup that i have to compare it to

its definately a tad louder than the middle and neck pickups, and just "barks" more.......but its not compressed at all, still open and "vintage" sounding.......

on a side note, i think it is out of phase with my stock strat middle pickup, but the out of phase sound is kind of cool sounding to me........ i read that out of phase would make it thin and harsh.......but it gets kinda hollow and almost like a wah pedal halfway rocked when i combine it with the middle pickup, very strange sound, but very cool...and its has a noticeable drop in output, so its kind of good for strumming chords and what not, cause its not too loud

im very pleased with the twangbanger......check over in the tips and clips section soon, ill post some clips of it
    Flank..cool to hear your review about the TB...I had to flip flop the white and black wire on my TB and move the ground over to the white side of the TB's bottom plate,as it was out of phase with my Surfer middle..If it is out of phase you should know it.Your tone will seem weak,thin,low in output,and very hollow sounding in the mids...It's like you go to the 4th position and you go WTF? Great pickup..Best of everything with it buddy...

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

yeah, the out of phase sound is kind of like that......but its kind of a cool sound to me, its not real thin or anything......its kind of a strange sound, definately noticable drop in output, but the tone i kind of like

btw, posted a clip here in the link in my sig

>cord<
      1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

yeah, the out of phase sound is kind of like that......but its kind of a cool sound to me, its not real thin or anything......its kind of a strange sound, definately noticable drop in output, but the tone i kind of like

I'm at work on my Fire Station computer and can't open stuff like that up,but you know I'll listen to it tomorrow when I get home...

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

alritey john

had it a little while now and like it even MORE Great pickup seymour!

>cord<
          1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

no more thin weak strat bridge pickup sounds
            thats exactly what i thought when i heard the clip

One day I wanna get a proper strat (S/S/S) and this might just be the bridge pup to go in

thanks for the review
            My clips

Originally posted by Rid
            How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

yeah man, go for it, its a really great pickup

>cord<
              1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Sounded great Flank...Sounded twangy but with alot of warmth and lows also..Chimey and full but not too toppy sounding...Great clip buddy...

John

Comment

yeah man, go for it, its a really great pickup
                  I second that emotion....

Comment

Man . . . that sounds great. Doesn't even sound like a bridge pickup.
                    What amp and all, are you using. That seems to have more body than my C5 bridge.

Comment

It has that fat good Tele sound, must sound quite great with a slide too.....

Comment

glad you like it. i have it in my first grab blues guitar. i think the surfer is out of phase with the normal duncan singles. just wired up my splatter strat with a ssl6 neck, surfer middle and qp flat bridge. so far so good

Comment

yeah guys. agree with everything youve said.........its an awesome pup

>cord<
                          1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Well this sold me. My main axe is a Music Man Albert Lee, which has a sort of early version of the Twangbanger at the bridge (basically an Alnico 2 Pro Flat with a metal strip acting as a baseplate wired to ground). I love the pickup, but it's always on the weak side. However, I want to retain the personality of the guitar. The Twangbanger sounds exactly like I want the bridge position of this guitar to sound.

Comment

Originally posted by s0c7
                              Well this sold me. My main axe is a Music Man Albert Lee, which has a sort of early version of the Twangbanger at the bridge (basically an Alnico 2 Pro Flat with a metal strip acting as a baseplate wired to ground). I love the pickup, but it's always on the weak side. However, I want to retain the personality of the guitar. The Twangbanger sounds exactly like I want the bridge position of this guitar to sound.
                              It's a great pickup with great tone...You'll love it!

John

Comment

Working...
                              X