Melody Maker Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melody Maker Pickup

I was interested in replacing my Melody Maker stock pickup. Is there a SD pickup that is close to a replacement pickup. I don't want to put in a P-90

Thanks,
    Rob

Re: Melody Maker Pickup

What kind of pickup is in it now? I play in aband where the frontman plays a Melodymaker that originally had a pair of singles in it. Somewhere along the line someone moved the bridge single to the mid position and installed a CC in the bridge. Killer sounding guitar to say the least.

If yours is an original late 60s model I might suggest having Warmoth or someone else make a new pickguard for that guitar with whatever pickup configuration you would like and install whatever pickups you might like into it.

You could also have SD re-wind the stockers to whatever spec you like.

There are a lot of options available for a pickguard topped guitar like a Melodymaker.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

It has the stock single coil pickup. Just on bridge pickup. It has a beefier sound than a strat pickup. I though about re-winding the pickup as an option. I was just curious if there was a replacement pickup for it.

Comment

I didn't check the mounting post spread on Tims guitar, but measure the pickup and the mounting screw spread and see if it is the same for Std singles. If it is, you're in business.

I don't know of anyone making aftermarket pickups specifically for that guitar. It's not a real common model.
        www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
        www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Which MM do you have? If it is a newer one it is routed for a dogear P-90. If you don't want to route you can go with a stacked P-90 for humbucking. DiMarzio makes some neat humbuckers in a P-90 size but I am not sure they have a dogear cover for them. I think Rio Grande also has some hum variations in a P-90 size.

If it is an older MM and you don't want to route the SD Custom Shop has some MM pup replacements or maybe you could pop in a Hot Rails?
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

i have a '68 SG/melody maker and am looking to replace the pups....are the MM single coil pups on the SD site?
            :::.S
            :::.G
            :::.!!
            :.^!!^
            :.)==(
            .( == )
            ::- \

Comment

Mini Humbuckes fit in perfect and sound great!! I wouldn't carve up the
              original gaurd tho. Get a aftermarket or blank. My MM is a 67' and I just
              put another SM-1 in the bridge.
              BTW, The screw spaceing is a Lil' wider than a Strat PuP. You can put
              a Strat PuP in if your not afraid to notch the ends But you won't
              get that PuP back in a Strat without more boggering. I wouldn't go
              there.
              Last edited by kmcguitars; 01-15-2005, 07:56 PM.
              http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

nice one KMC! yep pickguard is in order, as well as bridge, pots, caps etc.! i posted w/pics on the "vintage gibson mod" thread if you wanna see some pics!
                :::.S
                :::.G
                :.^!!^
                :.)==(
                .( == )
                ::- \

Comment

Working...
                X