Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing new pickups

Hey guys,

I just got my new SD custom and SD Jazz pickups and I'm getting ready to install them.

I was having trouble figuring out exactly which diagram to use though.
    I have a push-push volume pot for each, and then one tone pot.

I want to be able to switch each pick-up to single coil individually (is this a good idea?)
    I was looking at this diagram:

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

would I just do the same only with another push-pull pot? to the other pick-up?

Also does anyone have any web-sites that explain a little more about how the coil splitting works? I understand that you can use a humbucker in series, split or parallel, but I don't understand why wiring it in different ways changes that.

-Dave

Re: installing new pickups

If you are going to use push/pull pots, and you mainly want splitting, then you don't want to use that diagram. That diagram will only give you normal-humbucker, and parallel operation with a push/pull pot.

What you want to do is actually much easier to wire up. Simply take your red/white combo, which should be shorted together, and connect them to the center lug of the push/pull pot. Either side, it doesn't matter which. Then take the terminal thats immediately above the terminal you used for the red/white, and connect it to either:

ground or green: if you want the stud coil active
    black or "hot": if you want the adjustable coil active.

Edit: In the above, when I say "center lug of the push/pull pot", I'm refering to the center lug of the switch, not the potentiometer itself.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 08-29-2004, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Like this:

The wire at the red arrow, connects to either the green or black wire.

Comment

I think I understand. haha,

what is actually happening when you push or pull the pot though? is it connecting different sections of itself?

also, I found a diagram to wire them so that one push/pull switches from hum-single coil mode, and the other push/pull goes from inner coils, to outer coils.

is there much of a difference between the inner and outer coils? and what will happen if I wire it so that each humbucker has it's own push-pull switch? and one humbucker is in series and the other is split? will that even work?

-Dave

Comment

A push/pull pot is just two independent switches, that operate with a common handle. The center terminal is the "common", that connects to either the top or bottom lug when pulled or pushed, respectively.

Like this:

The green indicates where the connections internally are.

I have to think a bit on the rest of your question - I'm still on my first cup of coffee.
          Last edited by ArtieToo; 08-29-2004, 07:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks!, that picture is exactly what I was looking for.
            I probably should have thought of that, but I couldn't figure out which parts were connected.

Comment

Working...
            X