X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil spilt - I don't think I did it right! :(

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me out:

I have just installed a old seymour duncan pickup into the bridge of my strat - looking at the pictures on the site I'm pretty sure that it is a 'hotstack'

I wired the green and the shielding to ground
    the black to the switch
    and the red and the white to two poles on a push/pull volume pot (red in the centre white on the outside)

my problem is that while the pickup sounds great running both coils when I split it with the pot the volume drops right down - and I mean right down so it's hardly audible.

however if I select the middle pickup with the split bridge it's back to normal volume :S

Have I wired it wrong or is it just not advisable to try to split this kind of pickup?

Any help would be great.

thanks,

dave.

Re: Coil spilt - I don't think I did it right!

Red and white should go together. The "outside" lug that you refer to should go to either hot or ground depending on which coil you want to split.

Look at this thread: Installing new pickups for a pic that might help.

Artie

Edit: BTW - Welcome to the forum.

Comment

yup. artie nailed it .. the red/white wires need to be soldered together ... then the switch action can connect the pair of them to ground (or hot) thus splitting the pickup
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

wow thanks guys for the quick response!

I had a look at the other thread and that did help too.

Just one more question before I open my guitar up again:

what would the differance in sound be from using either the black or the green?

thanks again for all your help.

dave.

Comment

by itself, not much

the difference would come when you put it in combination with another pickup ... ou would get phase and polarity issues to deal with ... sometimes you HAVE to switch the green/black wires in order to preserve the phase / polarity relationship

i had to on my 540s .. works great

cheers
          t4d
          gear list in profile

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by BramcoteLorne
            wow thanks guys for the quick response!

I had a look at the other thread and that did help too.

Just one more question before I open my guitar up again:

what would the differance in sound be from using either the black or the green?

thanks again for all your help.

dave.
            Route ground to the red & white when split, the reason is that that will leave the coil close to the strings on ... not the one underneath it ... i.e. ... more volume.
            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Kent how would you wire that same pickup and be able to switch between the split coils? Would a normal DP/DT switch be all thats required on-on-on (front slug split - full humbucking - adjustable screw split). I have done this once before but didn't save a schematic as to how I did it.

Would you need 2 DP/DT switches: 1 to split the coil and the other to select between the two?

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1
                Kent how would you wire that same pickup and be able to switch between the split coils? Would a normal DP/DT switch be all thats required on-on-on (front slug split - full humbucking - adjustable screw split). I have done this once before but didn't save a schematic as to how I did it.

Would you need 2 DP/DT switches: 1 to split the coil and the other to select between the two?
                I thought we were talking about a vertical stacked humbucking single coil ...hotstack ? You wouldn't want the bottom coil on, although I guess you could ...same wiring as a HB, ground tap leaves the black and white coil on (top coil hotstack, or slug on full size HB) hot tap leaves the screw coil on
                (bottom coil on hotstack) ... it's on the SD site.
                ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Kent sorry I did misread that I thought he was referring to a normal humbucker. In any event the Duncan site that shows that, shows either or, not the ability to switch between them, thats what my poorly worded question was asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1

i did exactly this with an on-off-on DPDT ... red/white to the center lug of the switch - green to one side lug, black to the other ... with the switch up, i get the "slug coil only" - mid position is normal (internal series) humbucker ... down is "screw coil only" ... i wired the neck pup to one side of the DPDT and the bridge pup to the other side, but inverted the green and black ... this allowed me to get 'inner' and 'outer' combinations when i had the main pup switch in the middle (both humbuckers combined in parallel) ... i had to do a mag flip to keep the hum cancelling ... works like a champ

hope this helps
                    cheers
                    t4d
                    Last edited by tone4days; 08-30-2004, 10:00 PM.
                    gear list in profile

Comment

ok so it sounds like you described the following diagram:

Comment

actually after re-reading it sounds like you mean the black wire is on the top lug (in the diagram) and the green on the bottom. That doesnt actually make sense then as the Black/green should be doing the exact opposite of the red/white since it is the opposing coil in every way. Also the black would need to be connected with a jumper to make a new hot wire to the volume or output jack as needed correct?

Comment

Tone 4 Days, can you possibly draw out a schematic as explaining it takes on a whole new meaning to the word confusion. I especially like the idea of your using neck and bridge picjkups with the split but comprehending it in words was not 100% for me i have to see it to make it perfectly clear. Thanks.

Comment

i'll see what i can do later tonight about a pic .. wont be easy for me with limited s/w drawing tools here ... in a nutshell, it's this (i think):

. gren (neck) - [] [] - blk (bridge)
                            . r&w (neck) > [] [] < r&w (bridge)
                            . blak (neck) - [] [] - grn (bridge)

when the switch is 'up' the neck red/white is shorted to the neck green and the bridge red/white is shorted to the bridge black ... vice versa when it is 'down' ... and in the middle, they're both regular humbuckers .. remember this is an on-off-on 3-way mini toggle DPDT

hope this helps

cheers
                            t4d

EDIT: damn, i cant get this crude 'drawing' to line up ... i'll try a proper schematic after work
                            Last edited by tone4days; 08-31-2004, 06:42 AM.
                            gear list in profile

Comment

That helps so much tone4days. Makes it so much clearer visualizing it. I still don't know the intricacies of WHY it works (with the black and green wires being separate and not together like the red and white), but at least I can wire it up thanks to your creative diagram. :-D

Comment

Working...
                              X