banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Series/parallel wiring for 2 hummers and 5 way switch. Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series/parallel wiring for 2 hummers and 5 way switch. Help!!!

Does anybody know how to combine 2 humbuckers with a 5 way switch BUT with the bridge humbucker acting in series/parallel. This is the only one that the duncan site dosen't have. There's one for a 3 way switch but nothing for the 5 way, looked all over but could'nt find it, maybe there isn't one because its not possible, i dont know, could anyone know about this....

Thanks
    Fender Sunn Mustang - highly rayz'd!
    Laney LX35R Combo
    ToneWorks AX10
    ...wish there was more but thats it

Re: Series/parallel wiring for 2 hummers and 5 way switch. Help!!!

i am a bit confused about what you want to do .. are you trying to have the coils of the bridge humbucker be wired internally as either series or parallel? .. or are you trying to combine the brige humbucker with the neck humbucker as either a series or parallel combination?

is there any chance you can install a push/pull switch? if so, i am pretty sure you can get just about anything in the neighborhood that you are describing

also, they make 3 position 'lever type' switches if you have a schematic for what you want

maybe let us know what 5 things you want from the 5 way switch and we can try to help

cheers
    t4d
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

I came up with one for a Super Switch, in which positions 1 & 5 are the individual humbuckers in series and positions 2 & 4 are the HB's in parallel.
      The only drawback is that it doesn't allow for seperate volume controls. However, if you only want series/parallel switching on the bridge pickup, then seperate volumes might be possible depending on what the other three options are (for example, both series HB's linked in parallel, both split in parallel, neck pickup in series, etc.).

If you let me know exactly what you want the switch to do, I would gladly draw up a diagram for you. I still don't have a scanner, but I'm sure I could get one of my friends to scan it for me so I could e-mail it to you. Or I could even mail you the actual diagram on paper if you don't mind giving me your address. I've mailed diagrams to board members in the past, and they can attest that I did not sell their adresses to mailing lists or come to their houses and stalk them.
      Let's go where the raptor goes....

Comment

sorry, i should have given those details too, well i just want to have the bridge humbucker run as both series and parallel in different positions controlled either with or preferably without a separate switch(t4d did you mean this about internally wiring the bridge coils 'to the 5-way without' using a seperate switch).
        My current bridge, a Tone Zone is too powerful standard wired, so i wanted it to reduce its output a bit but still have the standard mode available.
        I dont really want the neck HB to run paralllel, it sounds ok and is lesser in output than the bridge.
        I would ideally like the Switch to go from 1-5 like -

1-bridge HB standard
        2-bridge parallel
        3-bridge split
        4-bridge with neck split
        5-neck HB standard

but i dont know if this is possible, in fact this is my first rewiring job thanks to no experienced enough luthier being anywhere in the city.
        Yep it would be really cool if i could get the diagram and thanks for firstly replying and for offering the much needed help. If you think the switch options i mentioned are not possible i dont mind getting an alternate as long as i have one bridge in parallal option available, but not with the neck, and if its possible without an extra switch...
        Laney LX35R Combo
        ToneWorks AX10

Comment

i dont know if what i just said made any sense, i'm really new to this, maybe the seperate push/pull or an on/on switch does the switching, but i hope i've put up a clear enough picture of what i really want...
          Last edited by rayz; 08-30-2004, 04:28 AM.
          Laney LX35R Combo
          ToneWorks AX10

Comment

i hope you'd reply...
            Laney LX35R Combo
            ToneWorks AX10

Comment

Rayz, 2 things you should do.

First, you need to specify in position 4 whether you want the bridge and split neck to be combined in series or parallel. Second, I advise you sign up and post at http://www.guitarnuts.com/phpBB2/index.php, I've gotten tons of weird wiring diagrams from members there, though the board's scarcely populated, so it might take a day or so for an answer.

Comment

nope, just want the neck to split with the bridge(Tone Sone) standard, been looking for that fluid sound with the TZ, and thanks bro, i've posted the same message at the site you suggested, looks like a mean one too...
                Laney LX35R Combo
                ToneWorks AX10

Comment

The options you want are definitely possible, though as I mentioned, you'll need a Super Switch. It works just like a standard Strat-style switch, except that it has 24 lugs instead of just eight. Most guitar parts suppliers carry them, including Stewart-MacDonald, WD, and Allparts.

Plus, you could easily have seperate volume controls if you wanted to be able to blend the pickups in position 4. Or you could have a master volume and multiple tone controls (such as one tone for positions 1, 2, & 3, and the other for positions 4 & 5).

Another thing I like to do when splitting both humbuckers is to have the bridge slug coil with the neck screw coil, so that it can be hum-cancelling without having to flip one of the magnets. And you could have them in parallel or series (two split HB's in series sounds somewhat like a stronger version of two series HB's in parallel, albeit with a bit more twang).

PM or e-mail me with the details, and I'll get to work on the diagram right away. Also, what is the neck pickup? I'll include wire colors in the diagram, but I'll need to know who made it in order to do so.

My e-mail is [email protected], or [email protected]; whichever you prefer is fine, for I check them both whenever I'm on the computer.
                  Let's go where the raptor goes....

Comment

thanks for all the help, since its a super switch we are looking at i would definitely go for the bridge and neck split to be in parallel, hate any of that twang, hmm going for the volume pot would require a routing for it in my RG for three pots, i dont use the tone pot but still would have to make a hole for the master volume so i think i'd go without it this time.
                    living in India makes it a little tough to get any guitar parts so i have to buy from ebay, they do have these switches, so far i have seen 2, never seen a super switch before so i needed your opinion, ones a 4-Pole, Double Wafer, 5-Way Super Switch, and a Fender 5-way super switch, both have 5 lugs on left and right of the switch face which looks like a rotary, i'll get one of these if they are the ones,but thanks a lot bro for all the info, i'll mail you for more stuff on the wiring...
                    Laney LX35R Combo
                    ToneWorks AX10

Comment

Working...
                    X