Pickup recommendations (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup recommendations (again)

I feel kinda silly asking this, since it flies in the face of advice I've given others - ie., when you have the p'ups in front of you, just try them to see what sounds best.

The thing is, my Peavey Gen is Tele-style, with the bridge p'up mounted in the bridge. Like this:

That, combined with it being a basswood body, (somewhat soft), I really don't want to take those bridge mounting screws in and out any more than I have to. (BTW - I've looked. There's a wooden "wall" between the bridge and pickguard cavities. I can't just take the pickguard out, and "slid it under".)
    The neck and middle p'ups will probably end up being a pair of Quarter Pounders. And, this guitar will be my "rocker". I don't mind it being a bit "hotter" than my others.

I have on hand:

Custom 5
    Duncan Custom
    Distortion (neck)
    Stag Mag

The Distortion, even though its technically a neck version, still has a fairly hot output, so I'm guessing that it would be comparable with this group.

So, any thoughts, recommendations? Thanks all.

Artie

Edit: (heh - sell 'em all - and get something different?)
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 08-29-2004, 09:35 AM.

Re: Pickup recommendations (again)

Artie,
    What is in there now and what would you like to change about it?

I had a chance to hear a pair of Stag Mags I installed in a Les Paul for Evan a few months back. Really balanced and detailed tone as humbuckers. I remember both of us being a bit surprised at how sweet they sounded in that guitar.
    I would suspect similiar results in the Basswood Peavey though you would most likely get more top end. That would be a good thing for the Tele Rocker.
    The tonal variations with the SM could be really appealing IMO.

Hope to help.

Rodney

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney
      Artie,
      What is in there now and what would you like to change about it?

Rodney
      Basically, the guitar is brand new, and it has the original pups in it. As much as I like Peavey, (and "vintage" Peavey pups), these things are "placeholders" at best. They have no character, or body, or life, at all. They produce sound.

Its interesting that you would suggest the SM's. Those were really on the bottom of my list. I had them in another Peavey for awhile, and I really liked their "split" sound better than their HB sound. They just might be worth another shot in this guitar.

I'll see what others may say, and I may just end up doing more swapping then I planned.

Comment

hi artie

for the ones on your list, i can only comment from experience on the C5 ... i am kinda thinkin' that it might be a bit too agressive for a tele style axe

i was thinkin' a '59 would be killer in there .. maybe you could swap someone one of yours for a '59 they are looking to unload ...

good luck
        t4d
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days
          I was thinkin' a '59 would be killer in there .. maybe you could swap someone one of yours for a '59 they are looking to unload ...

good luck
          t4d
          Thanks t4d; The only problem with that is, I already own three 59's.

I wanna try something different in this guitar. Of course, if thats ultimately what will sound best, so be it.

(There sure are a lot of 59's available in the "Trading Post".)

Comment

Custom for my tastes. You'd need a pickup at least that hot to balance with the QP's. Besides, you said rock, and if the Custom can do one thing, its RAWK!
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
              Thanks t4d; The only problem with that is, I already own three 59's.
              oops - sorry

how about a seth ?
              gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days
                oops - sorry

how about a seth ?
                Heh - do you, by any chance, have one, that you'ld like to trade for something thats on the menu?

Custom 5
                Duncan Custom
                Distortion (neck)
                Stag Mag

Comment

I'd sell them and pick up a Blues Trembucker for the bridge. It's still the best Duncan bridge pickup I've ever tried. It has just a little more output than a PAF style pickup, and it has a little more midrange and a litte less treble than the '59. One of these days, I'm going to have to get another guitar just to put that pickup in.

Ryan
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Thats an idea too. The Blues Saraceno and the Dimbucker are two pups I've wanted to try.

Decisions, decisions . . . I'll either pop one of these in to try it, or put a couple over at the Trading Post.

Comment

Working...
                    X