Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help, Duncan / PRS comparison

Hiho

Iīm in the process of taking my Charvel apart and restringing her for the Floyd tutorial, and I figured why not take a gander at the pickups.

Ok, the Middle SC is the stock Jackson J-100, and the Neck is a Cool Rails (auction said Hotrails, but doesnīt sound like one, and the sticker proved it )

The Bridge was Advertised as a PRS HFS, but it IS a Dragon Treble. Iīve heard the HFS and could work from there, but the Dragons are new territory.

Which Duncan do you guys that have tried/heard one think comes closest? The clips on the PRS website didnīt help too much, but at least more than the descriptions . I just need a halfway decent starting point, although Iīll probably just get a JB anyway
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Re: Need help, Duncan / PRS comparison

I can't help with the Duncan comparison but you can check out some more useful (IMO) clips at http://prsforumsoundclips.tripod.com/ariel.html
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
    My Music

Comment

Hmm, was a bit of a help, but the problem is that clips in a PRS style axe donīt really help me much, but thatīs all I can find

Anyone else?

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Though i didnt see anything on the dragon sorry
        My clips

Originally posted by Rid
        How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

I know I'm not being specific, but PRS pickups seem closest to 59's to me, anyway.
          When I've taken PRS pickups out (HFS and McCarty), the Duncans seem to have more size to their tone. Try a C-5 this time. Very Van Halen in that guitar.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

The Custom is closest to the HFS, I've never tried the Dragons.
            www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
            www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
            http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              I know I'm not being specific, but PRS pickups seem closest to 59's to me, anyway.
              When I've taken PRS pickups out (HFS and McCarty), the Duncans seem to have more size to their tone. Try a C-5 this time. Very Van Halen in that guitar.
              More size to their tone? Interesting. I may have to try the C-5/PGn in my McCarty under your recommendation. I am not sure I want to pay that much for the PRS after market pickups available.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
                The Custom is closest to the HFS, I've never tried the Dragons.
                Good to know my ears arenīt screwed, thatīs my general impression as well

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                Sorry Jonesey, but the C-5 isnīt on my list of choices for a few reasons.

1. Too scooped in the midrange in most axes, particularly in an ash Charvel with a Floyd (can you say "swarm of mosquitos farting"?)
                2. I find the bass response too loose and a bit too boomy (see also point 1)
                3. My impression of the C-5 is generally the exact opposite of which direction Iīm thinking of going tonally with this axe (ī80s Metal with a twist). THhen again, I didnt really like it in my Lester or my V eitherīto start with...

Part of the problem may be my penchant for V-Twins through a 2204, the amp sound isnīt really recreatable without that setup, and I feel it reacts a bit differently to pickup changes /new bridges and such than most setups....

I guess Iīll just drop a JB in and work from there after all. But thanks anyway, guys
                Last edited by Zerberus; 09-01-2004, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Zerberus, it may have just been your experience, because the C-5 in my LP was big and full...nice balance. I got a lot of compliments on tone when I had the C-5 in that guitar. It was nice because I was able to get more mids from the amp rather than a pickup with over powering mids. I also found the bass tight and percussive. Highs seemed very airy but I had to pull back the presence on the amp a bit.

Comment

Any others?

Comment

If I go Duncan again in my LP it will be C-5/59 (or PGn).......clean....rock....metal, no problem!

Comment

Working...
                      X