EMG's and Drop Tuning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG's and Drop Tuning.

About to change pickups in my Strat (D standard, drop C).

I'm thinking 85/85, but I'm a little concerned about too much bass when detuned. Anyone with experience using EMG's when detuned?

Rig is Strat -> Mesa Rectifier -> Mesa 4x12

What's the best option?

1. 81n - 81b
    2. 85n - 85b
    3. 85n - 81b
    4. 81n - 85b

I'm not interested in 60's or 89's, so don't suggest them.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Re: EMG's and Drop Tuning.

For me, I can never have an 81 in the neck position. I tried it before, and didn't like the results. For my suggestions, the 85 will be assumed as the neck position.

The 81 in the bridge position has tons of clarity to it. You can drop a string down to A and it would still sound rather clear. The 85 does have a bit more bass, which at times can seem unclear. With a bit of tweaking, you could make the 85 work just as well.

Would your strat happen to have a locking tremolo on it? Or at least do you have a way to take off your bridge? I don't like to have to change strings just to switch pickups out/around, so that's why I ask. If you don't already have some EMG's in other guitars, I'd recommend the 81b/85n set. You may appear to be copping a feel for Zakk, but the combo works.

phear teh guitar pissing kitty of DEWM!!!

Comment

Thanks.

I have an 85n/81b in a Les Paul right now. I really like the setup.

After thinking and researching some more, I'm thinking more towards 85/85, or 85/81. I have a JB in there now, and I quite like it, but after running EMG's in my LP for awhile, it seems to lack a little "Oomph", for lack of a better term. I've also found the EMG's offer more clarity when run through my Rectifier, and that's rather important to me.

The guitar has a vintage trem, but it's been blocked, so I'll have to restring to swap pickups.

Maybe I'll get another 85/81 set and try both pickups in the bridge.....

Comment

Just for fun ang giggles I've used an 85 and tuned down 3 to 5 steps with a Gibson short scalled guitar and it had balls to the wall! It sounded great, but could be muddy with the wrong equipiment such as a bad amp, or ? .. I just eq'd it correctly.. I'd go with an 81 in the bridge and neck if I were going to constantly tune down.. but you could also go with the 81 / 85 combo and if you didn't like it, just unplug it and switch it.. That's the nice thing about EMG's .. After they are wired you can switch them easily during a string change.. I know you said not to suggest a 60, but it's a powerful pickup and I think you'd find in the neck it would be a great pup with the 81 in the bridge.. Just a thought..

Tim

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
        About to change pickups in my Strat (D standard, drop C).

I'm thinking 85/85, but I'm a little concerned about too much bass when detuned. Anyone with experience using EMG's when detuned?

Rig is Strat -> Mesa Rectifier -> Mesa 4x12

What's the best option?

1. 81n - 81b
        2. 85n - 85b
        3. 85n - 81b
        4. 81n - 85b

I'm not interested in 60's or 89's, so don't suggest them.
        Tim..

Comment

Originally posted by DotNetTim
          I know you said not to suggest a 60, but it's a powerful pickup and I think you'd find in the neck it would be a great pup with the 81 in the bridge.. Just a thought..

Tim

How's it sound under gain?

I don't really use this guitar for cleans....

Comment

My only experience with even hearing a 60 in the neck has been hearing James Hetfield do his solo with Master of Puppets on the '89 Seattle video found in Metallica's boxed set. It sounded incredibly sweet when I heard it.

Other than that, it's still up for interpretation, and possible expirementation if someone wants to let me borrow their 60.

phear teh guitar pissing kitty of DEWM!!!

Comment

the 81 is killer when drop-tuned. it has soooooooo much clarity and definition that even when you tune extremly low, it will hold clarity and just gain alot more bass.
              and its got enough output and crunch to rip your face off as you should know by now

i'd get 81 bridge 85 neck.
              Guitars:
              -Ibanez RG2820CTTW Limited Edition (with Dimarzio Steve's Special bridge and Air Norton neck)
              -Peavey Harley Peavey Signature Guitar
              -Admira spanish classical guitar

Amps:
              - Line6 POD 2.3 Rack with poweramp and cab
              - Marshall 1st Generation Valvestate combo
              SHREDDING IN THE HOLY LAND

Comment

Forget the 85 neck, its way overrated there and is actually a much better suited bridge pickup because its very hot and fat. The 60 neck is soooo much nicer. I don't know how low you plan on going, but I went as low as Drop C with an 85 in the bridge of a mahogany SG and it was fine, it's thick, but mostly because of the lower mids and not the bass.

Comment

I've got an LTD Viper with 81's that I drop 1 whole step. Nice lows, but not muddy and not too dark. In standard tuning it can sound a little thin.

Sorry, no experience with the 85's...
                  If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                  DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot
                    Forget the 85 neck, its way overrated there and is actually a much better suited bridge pickup because its very hot and fat. The 60 neck is soooo much nicer. I don't know how low you plan on going, but I went as low as Drop C with an 85 in the bridge of a mahogany SG and it was fine, it's thick, but mostly because of the lower mids and not the bass.

Ditto, I agree completely. The 60 is suprisingly hotter than a regular passive but it has a tone much like a strong punchy single coil...it's hard to explain...but it sounds excellent for both cleans and distortion IMO. The 85 I wouldn't use other than for neck shred stuff ala Zakk.

Comment

What I've decided to do is to install an EMG wiring harness, then swap an 81 and 85 into the bridge, and see what I like better.

I'll do the same with an 81, 85, & 60 in the neck.

That seems to be the best solution as far as I can see.

Thanks for all the idea's guys.

Comment

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot
                        Originally posted by ranalli
                        Ditto, I agree completely. The 60 is suprisingly hotter than a regular passive but it has a tone much like a strong punchy single coil...it's hard to explain...but it sounds excellent for both cleans and distortion IMO. The 85 I wouldn't use other than for neck shred stuff ala Zakk.

How does the 60 sound under high gain?

Comment

Working...
                        X