Foo Fighters tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foo Fighters tone

Can anyone tell me what pickup Dave Grohl uses on "The Color and The Shape"? I love his tone, especially on that one.

Thanks.
    I have guitars and amps.

As best I know, he plays stock pups, and gets his tone from a combination of a Vox AC-30, and a Dual Recto
    Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

Comment

recto tone is the foo fighters

Comment

a hollow body gibby
        Guitars:
        87' Gibson Les Paul Custom- Stock PUs
        86' Carvin V220- Super distortion neck, tonezone bridge....
        87' Cort Unknown Model, Modded- Dimarzio Super Distortion Bridge with Alnico V mag.

Amp:
        Bogner Ecstasy-stock Tubes
        Marshall JMP 50 watt- stock Tubes
        Fender Deluxe 90-Solid State..:-P

Comment

Originally posted by dalastcaffeine
          a hollow body gibby
          Really? I figured he always played solid bodies--Les Pauls, Explorers.
          I have guitars and amps.

Comment

It don't get more solid than an Ampeg plexi body!!! I love that thing, it's pretty darn heavy. Yeah, the Foo tone rocks.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
            Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
            Celestion speakers
            Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
            Too many pedals....

Comment

he'll have been using the Explorer, SG and that other hollow body thing with the diamond F-holes and strat headstock. Into a Recto and a Vox AC-30. All stock pickups.
              "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

he uses a hollow gibby to record.......
                Guitars:
                87' Cort Unknown Model, Modded- Dimarzio Super Distortion Bridge with Alnico V mag.

Amp:

Comment

Wow i've never heard anyone talk about how much they liked the foo fighteres tone, IMO i think their sound is kinda standard..but thats My opinion..
                  Marshall JVM 410C
                  Mesa Boogie DC-3
                  ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                  1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                  2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                  2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                  1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                  2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                  1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

the foo fighter tone gives me an headache......i can't stand it.....
                    Guitars:

Amp:

Comment

Yeah, it's pretty basic sounding, but I like it.
                      I have guitars and amps.

Comment

On the 1st Foo Fighter's album Dave Grohl used mainly a LP and a Marshall JCM900 head and cab.

On 'The Colour And The Shape' (if I remember right) he used a Gibson Explorer, a Gibson RD and maybe a LP? I can't remember what amps though

On 'There Is Nothing Left To Lose' he mainly used a Gibson Trini Lopez, a Telecaster, a SG tuned to A (for Stacked Actors) and amps were a Vox Ac30 and a Mesa Dual Rectumfrier.

As for gear on 'One By One', I know when he toured the album he was using a Dan Armstrong Plexiglass guitar and Rectumfriers. I assume he was using his Gibson Trini Lopez to record the album too.

There may be some mistakes in my info, but as far as I remember, this is what I read in guitar magazines and interviews

Craig

Comment

I'm a bit confused. What about Chris Shifflet the Ex-Guitarist of No Use For A Name. Isn't he now playing with Foo Fighters?
                          RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                          TS 7 (modded)
                          Hot Rod 50+ XL
                          Framus Dragon 4x12
                          V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel
                            I'm a bit confused. What about Chris Shifflet the Ex-Guitarist of No Use For A Name. Isn't he now playing with Foo Fighters?
                            Yeah, Chris is playing with Foo FIghters. He was when I saw them at Birmingham NEC November 2002 anyway, dunno if he still is

Comment

I get a headache too every once in a while. Like when my Johnson hits me in my noggin. (Cause the dang thing is so long)

Comment

Working...
                              X