Pickup choice for my new SA160 ash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup choice for my new SA160 ash

Here's the deal. Just picked up an Ibanez SA160 ash body guitar, HSS. I'm going to place an order tomarrow morning from AMS for new pickups, but I'm not sure yet what to get. I want a big meaty bluesy tone for heavy blues and classic rock. I was thinking if went with Duncans, I'd get a JB full size for the bridge, and a pair of quarter pounders for the 2 singles. However, I was also thinking about going with Dimarzio's, in which case I was thinking about a virtual paf bridge, a virtual vintage blues for the middle, and a HS3 stacked humbucker for the neck. Those choices were based on information gotten of each company's web site, and taking into account that the guitar has an ash body, so it is inhearently a little on the bright side. The main reason Ithought about a HS3 instead of a HS2 (the HS2 is a brighter pickup). If anybody has any thoughts on these choices as which one might work best, or if anyone has any experience with any of these pickups, your feedback would be appreciated. Also, if someone has a better choice, please tell me what you think. If I went with the Dimarzio's, I am planning on putting coil taps on the neck and the bridge, and going with a 5 way switch. That would give me a total of 9 different combinations, whereas the Duncans I could only get 7. One last thing, I will only use single coils that look like traditional single coils. I do not like the look or tone of blade type stacked humbuckers. Thanks in advance for any responces.

Re: Pickup choice for my new SA160 ash

hmm ... well, i would think that a JB would be a touch overkill for heavy blues and classic rock ... i was thinking a '59, an AIIP, or maybe a PG in the bridge ...

also, for best service and prices on the duncans, contact blackrose custom or lewguitar

good luck
    t4d
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Working...
    X