Air Norton/Air Zone in wolfgang review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Norton/Air Zone in wolfgang review

I just came back from rehersal with my wolfgang guitar loaded with an Air Norton in the neck and an Air zone in the bridge. I really liked how the air zone took out a lot of the spikey high end of the wolfgang. It actually reminded me of Unlawful cd tone. What I really liked about them is the "Air" in the sound from the Airbuckers. My question is there any mod that can be done to my duncans (I have 2-59 strats). I think the 59, C5, CC, and Custom would sound great with that "Air" technology applied. Any comments would be apprieciated.

Thanks!!
    Walt

Re: Air Norton/Air Zone in wolfgang review

Put an Alnico 2 or 3 magnet in them?

I dunno.

One thing that I think DiMarzio got *right* with the Airbucker technology, is that they can basically "tune-in" the warmth of each string individually.

Like DiMarzio says....."low-note articulation, and high-note warmth".

For instance, I don't know many people that think a stock 59 is too bright on the bottom 2 or 3 strings. It's nice and clear.

But an Alnico 2 magnet can make the '59 a little too "round" or "loose" on the bottom strings. Maybe not enough "growl".

I'd love to hear what a DiMarzio Virtual PAF sounds like through a cranked Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by Majestic
      Put an Alnico 2 or 3 magnet in them?

I dunno.

One thing that I think DiMarzio got *right* with the Airbucker technology, is that they can basically "tune-in" the warmth of each string individually.

Like DiMarzio says....."low-note articulation, and high-note warmth".

For instance, I don't know many people that think a stock 59 is too bright on the bottom 2 or 3 strings. It's nice and clear.

But an Alnico 2 magnet can make the '59 a little too "round" or "loose" on the bottom strings. Maybe not enough "growl".

I'd love to hear what a DiMarzio Virtual PAF sounds like through a cranked Marshall.
      How can you tune each string to be warm or articulate with the Airbucker technology?

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
        How can you tune each string to be warm or articulate with the Airbucker technology?
        NO all the air bucker design does is make the alnico 5 weaker, it is the same thing as duncan "dunaged" but the dimarzio uses a full strength 5.then use a plastic spacer to weaken the magnetic field.
        duncan actually weakens the 5, making it forever a aged alnico 5,no comin back for that 5

Comment

Very cool review! I swapped out the bridge in my Axis for a Breed which was a big improvement IMO. I'm now replacing The Breed with a BBQ because I'm looking for something a bit warmer and tighter. It never ends...LOL
          :afro:

Comment

Originally posted by AmpliFIRE
            Very cool review! I swapped out the bridge in my Axis for a Breed which was a big improvement IMO. I'm now replacing The Breed with a BBQ because I'm looking for something a bit warmer and tighter. It never ends...LOL
            I'm not sure on the wood type of your guitar but if it is close to a Wolfgang Special, I would go with the Air Norton/Air Zone combo. Everytime I play that guitar it is becoming a favorite of mine. The guitar has a more useable tone range and still gets EVH tones as well. Notes seem to "breathe", you can hear every string under distortion in a chord. I personally dont use a lot of distortion more of an overdrive I guess, but chords seem to have this "open" sound that I love and until now only got that with a HS3. My 59's are still my favorite duncans but for my wolfie, I'm sold on these DiMarzio's until Seymour starts making "Air" pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddin_ED
              NO all the air bucker design does is make the alnico 5 weaker
              I believe that each pole piece has it's own individual spacer, if I'm not mistaken.

I thought that some were thicker than others, thus increasing or descreasing the amount of "weakening".

Take that with a grain of salt.....I've never looked inside one!

Comment

Now I have Virtual PAF neck and Airzone in my LP custom. I am kinda satisfied for now but it never ends!
                "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

I believe that each pole piece has it's own individual spacer, if I'm not mistaken.

I thought that some were thicker than others, thus increasing or descreasing the amount of "weakening".

Ok, I thought that 'Air' technology involved mismatched bobbins with the spacers too...is this incorrect?

It was my understanding that DiMarzio patented the mismatching of the bobbins and ASSUMED that this was a part of the 'Air' process.

Of course, they also patented double cream bobbins . Maybe Doc Barlow is the man to ask about this...I haven't played DiMarzios since the early 90's.

Farkus
                  2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                  1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

NO the design is they just replace the metal keeper bars with plastic ones.
                    plastic is not a conductor of magnetism so it acts as a air gap.
                    shreddin ed is correct it just makes the full strength alnico 5 act as a aged 5

Comment

So am I to assume that Duncan doesnt offer anything simuliar to the Air Zone without special ordering??

Comment

good review. Yeah the Peavey EVH pickups are missing something there just super weak.

Comment

Working...
                        X