Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single-coil question...

Hello...

I am new to the split-coil world...why would a person want to use only half of the coil (center tap)of a single-coil pup? Couldn't you just turn the guitar volume down half-way and get the same results???

teledude
    Last edited by teledude; 08-30-2004, 11:25 PM.

Re: Single-coil question...

Hi Teledude; Welcome to the forum.

The quick & dirty answer is - its just another flavor of sound available, at the cost of a switch. Sorta like, why have just cookies, when you can have cookies & 'creme?

When you split a humbucker, you can mimick the sound of a Strat-ish single-coil. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less, depending on which pup you split. When you split a "tapped" single-coil, its kinda of like being able to go from "normal" SC sound, to super-charged sound. (Assuming, in that case, you switch the extra windings "in", rather than "out".)

Or, you may use the split function to better "match" one pup with another. For example, I'm about to put a tapped Quarter Pound into a guitar. I may mate it up with a less powerful pup in the other position. So, I can use it on "full" by itself, but maybe, split it, when combined with the other.

Its all about options.

Artie

Comment

Thanks for the info, ArtieToo

Comment

Yep, once again, Artie has proved his value to our humble abode.
        Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
        https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
        Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Heh - I'm just passing on, what you all have taught me.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X