X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy Page Wireing

Has anyboby tried the jimmy page wireing at

Or know's If it works?
    Last edited by Oldslowhand; 04-01-2004, 07:42 AM.
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    Les Paul With JB bridge & Jazz neck - Jimmy Page Wiring
    Fenton Weill strat copy With 59 bridge & 59 Neck p/up My first Guitar
    Vox Valvetronix AD 100 VT

Re: Jimmy Page Wireing

OSL, after looking over that schematic I am skeptical. The bridge pickup volume and tone pots are wired the same as the Gibson version (for the most part) and should work but there are a couple of things in the neck pickup wiring that I am not too sure of. For one, the neck pickup split is wired to split to the south coil as is the bridge pickup so you wont be hum cancelling with both splits activated. This is not a big deal, but it is a deal. I am not even going to try to figure out the effect of this change to the other 20 coil combinations but I'm sure this creates other issues.

The neck tone pot push/pull (series link) is also highly suspect. I understand that deaf eddie is trying to work around not isolating the 2 outs from the 3 way switch but I don't see how activating the neck tone push pull gets you series between the two push pulls. All that switch does is to lift the ground and connect the neck pickups ground wire to the bridge pickups hot wire. So what you get is the neck hot running to the 3 way through the neck volume pot and the neck ground connected to the bridge hot and out the switch. With the series switch activated, the neck pickup is not connected to ground at either end. That doesn't qualify as a series connection and I don't think it will even work, let alone work as advertised.

I don't want to slam deaf eddie, but I wouldn't use that schematic. The only version of the JP wiring that I have ever known to work properly are wired like the Gibson site shows. Every attempt that I have seen that does not isolate the 2 output terminals of the 3 way or attempts to re-work the series switch (nessessary if you don't isolate the outs of the 3 way) do not work properly.

I could be wrong, but thats a lot of soldering to prove me right. Use the Gibby version, it works properly every time.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Hi Robert -

This is the Gibson wiring that you're talking about, right?

Chip
      Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
      Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
      Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
      SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
      SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
      "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

That would be it.

T4D got a new gig!

Comment

I've been in touch with Eddie and he's confirmed that he made a mistake in the diagram Whilst copying over his drawing for his site and I can confirm that that it now works He's Very helpfull if you have a problem Just like this site in fact. There is a list of what Every pull/pull combination will do 21 in all. Emett say's some of the problem's people get can come from the type of three way switch you have, as fitted to Epi's or if like me you to replace one. As I say he seems like a cool Bloke.

Comment

Which pots did you use for your Jimmy Page mod? Will these work? http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/product/CPM500P
            I have an Epiphone Elite LP I want to mod and someone told me I should buy 2 short & 2 long pots. I would rather use all 4 the same since these have more capabilities. Thanks!

Comment

I tried that mod and it didn't work when I Pulled the neck tone pot (for series) the Bridge P/up died, on an Epi you should be OK with four of the same pots(two Log vol and two lin tone). I did use Deaf-Eddies JP mod with an update from Eddie (I don't think Eddie has updated his wireing diagram yet )

However Robert S recomends the Gibson site as above trust him he's a wise old owl.
              Last edited by Oldslowhand; 04-01-2004, 05:39 AM.

Comment

I'm not too sure about the owl thing, you may have just insulted alot of owls.

Those are the correct pots.

T4D got a new gig!

Comment

Well It is april the 1st
                  Last edited by Oldslowhand; 04-01-2004, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks Guys! By the way Robert I live in Metro Detroit too. Brownstown

Comment

Just a little south of me guitarmart. If you are 21+ I have some cool gigs coming up in the next few weeks, it would be great to see you there. If not maybe we can hook up for a coney or something some time.

There should be a few outdoor festivals this summer as well that I'll be playing so we'll see. If you're playing out, let me know. I've been known to clap from the stands from time to time.

At any rate, welcome aboard!

T4D got a new gig!

Comment

Thanks! Maybe I will get to one of those festivals this summer. I would love to hear you play. The only place I play out is at church every Sunday, everybody is welcome.

My work is in Southfield so I get to drive through Radarford everyday. You know what I'm talking about, the Telegraph money machine.

Comment

Wave as you drive by Plymouth Rd, I'm 2 blocks east of that.

The world just keeps getting smaller.

T4D got a new gig!

Comment

ok, so i want to do the jimmy page mod...

this will work fine right?? with no bugs? and you've tried it?

for some reason the gibson site just won't work when i try to open wiring diagrams in .pdf

Comment

Fresh Start,

You scared the crap out of me with that diagram.

By the way, what does the Jimmy Page wiring do for you? Dumb question I know, but I've heard lots about it.

-Matt
                              Originally posted by Scott_F
                              On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Working...
                              X