banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pearly Gates bridge...good for ZZtop and status quo type tones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearly Gates bridge...good for ZZtop and status quo type tones?

I just started taking an interest in the pearly gates for the first time, i never used to even think about maybe getting one but im thinking of perhaps having one put in my es137 bridge when i finally get the guitar. This reason being that i was thinking about going for a more classic rock tone from this guitar's bridge, ala status quo. Although i was getting a hot status quo type tone from my JB bridge Jackson today, i suppose it depends more on the amp.

Anyway, these pearly gates sound quite appealing, what do you guys think?
    My Soundclick page.

Re: Pearly Gates bridge...good for ZZtop and status quo type tones?

Hmm
    I love status Quo. And I love Classic rock. O f late I too have been considering Pearly Gates. Though I would love ,more out put. Parely gates sounds great. PAF with added brightness! Cool PUP u get PAf tone minus the muddiness that could creep up.
    sigpic
    Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
    JFG Flying V,
    "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
    John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

I think it is the best wax potted PAF clone (and non custom shop pickup) ever wound. It would do what you are after easily.

B
      FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I have been using a Pearly Gates in the bridge of my SG for the past 5 years. Just this last week I switched it out for a Seth Lover.

The PG is a nice pickup in the PAF vain, but a tad hotter with a touch of extra high end.

I'm a big ZZ Top fan, but I don't feel the PG gives you that tone. You can get in the ball park, but that's all. The PG is a great pup for covering both vintage and hotter tones in one pick up.

Now the Seth Lover I changed to is much more of a PAF style of pickup. IMO that's the one you would want. It's fuller and more balanced than the Pearly Gates. It has a touch less output, but not much.

I haven't heard any of Staus Quo's music at all so I can't relate to there tones. However if you want to get closer to Billy Gibbons sound the Seths are much closer to that. They nail Angus Young's older tones to. IMO

MCG

Comment

Working...
        X