Did EVH use a CC on the 5150 LP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did EVH use a CC on the 5150 LP?

Does anyone know which pup/s Ed used for recording the 5150 LP?

Those tracks off that album seem to be mid heavy!

I think some here said it was a hybrid CC/59 humbucker, anyone else have the inside word?

Re: Did EVH use a CC on the 5150 LP?

Originally posted by inter
    I think some here said it was a hybrid CC/59 humbucker, anyone else have the inside word?

I built a Custom/59 hybrid and installed it in my Les Paul about a month ago, and it's definitely NOT mid heavy... it's very balanced. Of course EQ can have a lot to do with the tone on that album. I'm not really up to speed on EVH's gear, so maybe it had to do with what guitar/amp/whatever he was using at that time if he was running that particular hybrid?
    My Site
    My Gear

Comment

Originally posted by inter

I didn't hink Ed used a Les Paul on 5150.
      Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

I think we need a smiley that has as "just kidding" face or something. It just doesn't seem like I could find the right smiley. Perhaps a sarcastic smiley....
        Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Travis
          I think we need a smiley that has as "just kidding" face or something. It just doesn't seem like I could find the right smiley. Perhaps a sarcastic smiley....
          Any of these will work in a pinch.

My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Travis
            I didn't hink Ed used a Les Paul on 5150.

He meant LP, as in a Vinyl record, not Les Paul.

As far as what pickup get close to the tone, the CC in my Carvin gets within spitting distance, but that sound has got a lot more going on than just a particular pickup.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

did CC use a EVH on any poison lp's?

Comment

IIRC, Seymour built the Custom for him around this time.

Comment

It doesn't sound like a CC on that record. He may have used one on the 1984 album, but he changed his gear significantly between the 1984 and 5150 albums.

Ryan
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I thought that he used Steinbergers on some of those tracks. With EMG's, IIRC.

Farkus
                    2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                    1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

As Gearjoneser has said, the secret is distortion strings. But try finding them in E flat tuning. Sorry.........
                      Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

Originally posted by Farkus
                        I thought that he used Steinbergers on some of those tracks. With EMG's, IIRC.

Farkus
                        I've heard that as well. That the whole album was done with Steinbergers. Of course the source of these rumors...Ed Roman! Seriously.
                        Quality riffs in about a minute...
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Hell, at this point Ed doesn't even really know what Ed used at any given time. He's changed the story so many times, purposly lied to keep people from coping him.....blah blah blah. 59', CC, Evenly Voiced Harmonics Custom Shop Pup, hell, even the Blues Trembucker thru a Plexi or JCM 800 will get you within spitting distance.

Ed's sound had more to do with the plexi, variac and his hands than any pup he was using.
                          My Sound Clips

Comment

Thanks guys,

Thanks for posting Jeff, I love your avatar.

I did this thread in the hope of jagging one of those guys who was a friend of a friend of a friend, etc. Oh well.

There's no doubt he was using various types of amp gear and effects by this stage (Solando's, Plexi's, harmonizers, etc).

There was obviously a transtrem or two in there as well.

To me, there's a 59 treble tone in most of those tracks, but there seems to be more mids and bass. Could have been eq'ed and numerous other factors.

Comment

Here is a close-up of his actual guitar... notice the color of the wire in the coil... it is clearly not a PAF or 59 Style pickup because they use the dark insulated wire... looks like a Custom Custom to me...

Last edited by BachToRock; 09-02-2004, 06:12 PM.
                              GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Working...
                              X