dimarzio fast track rails?! HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dimarzio fast track rails?! HELP!

Hey everyone. I have 99 tele with... DiMarzio Fast track 2's in it. YUCK!! (So muddy.)
    I bought it like that and now i need to replace pups. I know someone out there can help with this. Please? heheh. I have a neck and brige single coil setup on this tele. I don't want to router anything out for a HB. But...i need a heavy sound (foo fighters, fugazi for example) and a glassy clean sound (Jeff Buckley, radiohead). Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Take care...

Gear List:
    Mesa Maverick head
    Mesa 4x12 w/vintage 30's
    Misc pedals
    99 american tele w/ 2 Dimarzio fast track 2s

Re: dimarzio fast track rails?! HELP!

JB jr. in the bridge position, for sure. The cleans are amazing, and it can get pretty heavy as well.

Comment

is the tele routed for tele pickups, or strat singles? If it's tele pickups, I would go with a Lil 59 at the bridge and, if you don't mind getting a pickuguard with a strat sized route, a Lil 59n for strat at the neck. It should give you the sounds you are looking for.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Yea, i hear the mids are a little much on that pup. Infact..a few years ago i had one in this little fender duosonic and it had too much mids. was thinking about going with a Hot Tele Stack setup or a QP setup. I REALLY want that glassy, full sound that it seems you can only get w/ a single coil. I use a Visual Sound Jeckyl and hyde distortion pedal for my drive so it can push some single coils with no prob. Anyone else?

Comment

If you want big sparkling tones, the QP and Hot Stack will work, just keep in mind that for the heavier stuff, you will need some kind of humbucker. Maybe the Lil 59's with splits for the cleans would work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
            is the tele routed for tele pickups, or strat singles? If it's tele pickups, I would go with a Lil 59 at the bridge and, if you don't mind getting a pickuguard with a strat sized route, a Lil 59n for strat at the neck. It should give you the sounds you are looking for.

Well, it looks like the pickguard has been routed (neck obviously) to fit the Dimarzio fast track 2. Now i'm not sure what the bridge pup has going on but it doesnt seem to be modified at all. Here on the Duncan site it says the Lil 59 has alot of "twang". Not sure if thats what i'm looking for. ARRRg!! so many choices. lol. So you can put a strat pup in a tele neck? I know its physically posisible but sound wise? Thanx

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
              If you want big sparkling tones, the QP and Hot Stack will work, just keep in mind that for the heavier stuff, you will need some kind of humbucker. Maybe the Lil 59's with splits for the cleans would work for you.

Hmmm. i have a fat strat and a standard strat as well. My standard has TX Specials in it and it has plenty o drive with those single coil pups. My fat strat has stock pups and its not a whole lot different. I guess my point is, i think you can get good overdrive without using a humbucker.

Comment

I like strat neck pickups in teles. Actually, the construction of both types of pickups is pretty similar, except for the size difference and the chrome cover on the tele pickup. if the pickguard can fit a Fast Track 2, it will fit any strat sized pickup without a problem.

What the site means by "twang" is that it has tight, clean lows without the muddiness associated with some humbuckers.

Comment

Nice! I have been a strat player for some time now and have always loved that strat sound. The tele feels sooooo good in my hands..and the sustain..whew. It's my main guit now. Even with the rails in it lol. So.. knowing a strat pup will work in neck opens up a whole new set of possibilities. Thanx Benji!! I'll have to check out the lil 59.

Comment

Originally posted by simon_sayz
                    Hmmm. i have a fat strat and a standard strat as well. My standard has TX Specials in it and it has plenty o drive with those single coil pups. My fat strat has stock pups and its not a whole lot different. I guess my point is, i think you can get good overdrive without using a humbucker.

I agree. I have a pickup set out of a Music Man Albert Lee signature model in my Strat (very similar to the APS set) and I love how it reacts in both clean and driven settings, but, when it comes time to play Foo Fighters or STP covers with my band, I always reach for my 'Paul. The low end is just fuller overall and the mids are more aggressive. I like that when playing heavier things.

Comment

Originally posted by simon_sayz
                      Nice! I have been a strat player for some time now and have always loved that strat sound. The tele feels sooooo good in my hands..and the sustain..whew. It's my main guit now. Even with the rails in it lol. So.. knowing a strat pup will work in neck opens up a whole new set of possibilities. Thanx Benji!! I'll have to check out the lil 59.

No problem, bro. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                      X