Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come? A question.

Hello,
    I'm back with a question I cannot figure out myself.

I've been screwing 'round with the Big Apple Strat wiring for some time now and here's an unexpected twist in the theme.

The wiring uses two humbuckers, a StewMac SuperSwitch with 5 positions and 24 lugs, and one vol/two tone pots. The magnet in the neck pup is rotated to reverse the polarity of the two coils, and the neck pup is wired a little different (the black wire, which for SD is the hot output, is not used as hot). For those who care, the drawing can be viewed at gearhead.com and it will tell the story better than I can. When done properly, the selector positions yield the following selections: 1. bridge HB (coils in series), 2. inner coils in parallel, humbucking (sort of Strat 2-pup cluck), 3. both HBs, 4. outer coil of the neck pup, 5. neck HB (coils in series). I used a pair of APH-1 pups installed in the usual manner - the stud coils of the pups facing each other and the screw coils facing the neck and the bridge, respectively.

The wiring worked well but the pups didn't work with that particular guitar, so I went for hotter pups to try the same wiring. I used the design with a pair of locally made pickups. Unlike Duncans, these RMPickups have logos printed always on the 'screw' bobbin (or the bobbin underneath which the wires come out). I believe it's the North coil of the pickup. So if you install the pups in the pickguard so that the logos are always on the bobbin that's closer to the bridge, the 'inside coils' that are on in position 2 of the switch with this wiring are of opposite polarity. When I found this I realized that I don't have to flip the magnet in order for the two inside coils to be humcancelling, PROVIDED THAT THE WIRES ARE ATTACHED TO THE SWITCH CORRECTLY. I'm not very good at figuring this out, so I experimented swapping the neck pup conductors on the switch lugs until I got reasonable results.

And this is what I got: Position 1 - bridge HB (so far so good), position 2 - the OUTER coils of both pickups, in phase, humcancelling (a Tele-ish sort of sound), position 3 - both HBs, position 4 - the INNER coil of the neck pup, position 5 - neck HB. So while positions 1, 3 and 5 are the way they are supposed to be, positions 2 and 4 turn on the 'opposite' coils to those anticipated in the design.

Thanks for reading so far, and here's my question: What did I do wrong?
    Gibson Hawk Series guitars rule!

Fave SD pups: Duncan Custom, Alnico II Pro, Pearly Gates, Phat Cats; Nashville Studio and Alnico II Pro for Tele; a Sadducer in my Crafter acoustic.

Re: How come? A question.

Bump ...

Please don't tell me that I'm such an idiot that I don't see the cause that is obvious. It's not obvious to me... but it must be something simple
    Thanks

Tony
    Gibson Hawk Series guitars rule!

Fave SD pups: Duncan Custom, Alnico II Pro, Pearly Gates, Phat Cats; Nashville Studio and Alnico II Pro for Tele; a Sadducer in my Crafter acoustic.

Comment

Working...
    X