banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are magnets from duncan design pickups very different from higher cost pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are magnets from duncan design pickups very different from higher cost pickups?

It was just brought to my attention that ive got two alnico5 duncan design pickups sitting around collecting dust which i took out from new in an old guitar which i sold (replaced them with EMG's) and ill probably use the magnets for experimenting with other pickups, if they are of good quality that is. Just asking if the duncan designs are any different/worse than magnets used in gibson/duncan pickups which are obviously more expensive?
    My Soundclick page.

Re: Are magnets from duncan design pickups very different from higher cost pickups?

bump for ya

Comment

Re: Are magnets from duncan design pickups very different from higher cost pickups?

I'm not sure if those magnets come from a batch they consider "cheaper", but Seymour brought up an interesting point at that clinic last week. He said that magnets all have a slightly different character, depending on their gauss level (magnetic pull). He said that ones that aren't so strong are often the ones that players favor, because they're mellower and smoother. The quality of the pickup probably has to do more with the poles, flatwork, winding, and leads, so I'd go ahead and use those magnets. However, you may be better off selling both of those for enough to buy 1 Duncan, which is a popular thing to do with stock pickups.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
      X