Bass pup questions -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass pup questions -

first question, on a Fender Jazz bass the pups are single coils, right? Are they Reverse wound / Reverse polarity? If not, could a person flip one of the pups and have them noise canceling? If so, which one would be best, bridge or neck?

Also, my friend has a les paul bass and it has humbucker-looking pups. Does seymour duncan make pups to fit a les paul bass? does anyone know if an ernie ball music man style pup will fit? Please give suggestions for a Duff (without the chorus) sound, if you have any.

Thanks

Re: Bass pup questions -

i dont think the mm pup will fit, a rewind might be a better option.

as far as the jazz pups, which ones where ya looking at? some are rw/rp. doesnt really matter which one is rw, either will work just fine.

Comment

I have a Jazz bass that I borrowed from a freind. He found it in a pawn shop and had some basslines put in it (no idea what kind, but they sound great). The thing is it has a hiss sound (not so much a hum) when you turn up the volume and tone pots (i know it's weird). For instance, I can have one knob all the way up and the other two down- no noise, also I can have all of up abot 1/3 of the way and no noise. or I can turn two up about half way with the other one all the way down and no noise. But if I want to go any higher it has a hiss sound.

I'm woundering if I take the bridge out and rotate it 180 degrees would this make them noise canceling?

I'm just using it to record with so I just plug it direct into the breakout box.

Comment

Originally posted by Naps
        I have a Jazz bass that I borrowed from a freind. He found it in a pawn shop and had some basslines put in it (no idea what kind, but they sound great). The thing is it has a hiss sound (not so much a hum) when you turn up the volume and tone pots (i know it's weird). For instance, I can have one knob all the way up and the other two down- no noise, also I can have all of up abot 1/3 of the way and no noise. or I can turn two up about half way with the other one all the way down and no noise. But if I want to go any higher it has a hiss sound.

I'm woundering if I take the bridge out and rotate it 180 degrees would this make them noise canceling?

I'm just using it to record with so I just plug it direct into the breakout box.
        I think all the modern pups are humcancelling when on together, and no turning a pup aroung won't chnge the magnet structure, the reverse wind doesn't matter as swapping the hot and ground leads accomplishes the same thing. The magnet must be the opposite magnetic polarity from the other one, you would have to turn the pup upside down, and I seriously doubt that will work out. If the two pups will pull toward each other face to face then one has the opposite polarity, and will humcancel when on with the other when wired correctly. The hi-end hiss is normal amp noise when tone and volumes are turned all the way up, if you cut back on your tone controls or your volume controls it's normal for some of that to be attenuated somewhat as less hash is getting into the preamp. Better shielding, enviroment, and cabling are your answers there, although it shouldn't be much of a problem.
        ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
        ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
        Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
        X