JB vs Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB vs Custom

How does a JB compare to the Custom? I have a JB in my PRS right now and it has way too much mid range and is not thick enough for my PRS. The JB sounds great my LP, but the PRS has alot mid-range to begin with. So will the Custom be answer? I heard they are like hot-rodded PAF. That would be good because the '59 neck pickup in it sounds awsome. So how do they compare?
    CURRENT RIG:

2004 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (SD PGb bridge, DMZ VVB neck)
    2012 Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue (Mojotone '72 Clone WRHB set)
    2017 Balaguer Scumden (SD PG set)
    2011 Fender Blacktop Telecaster (GFS Surf 90s)

Jet City JCA50H
    Avatar Signature 2x12 loaded with Greenbacks
    lots 'o pedals

Re: JB vs Custom

the custom has a more aggressive tone than the jb, a tighter overall sound, with much less upper mid focus. does that seem like something you want?

Comment

C-5 will balance better since it has less mids.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
        the custom has a more aggressive tone than the jb, a tighter overall sound, with much less upper mid focus. does that seem like something you want?
        That sounds closer to what I want. The PRS CE has alot of mids and upper mids to it's tone (I guess it's the bolt on maple neck). Less upper mids might help.

Originally posted by papersoul
        C-5 will balance better since it has less mids.
        I considered that, but I like to use a trem spaced pickups with my trem eqipped PRS, it help with clarity on the lower notes. From what I have seen on the SD website, the Custom 5 does not come trem spaced.
        CURRENT RIG:

Jet City JCA50H
        lots 'o pedals

Comment

I've held a Custom 5 trembucker in my hands, actually.
          Originally posted by The Minstrel
          Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

Originally posted by italic zero
            I've held a Custom 5 trembucker in my hands, actually.
            Really, coll, I might try a Custom 5 out now. I have used one before in my LP back when I had a Peavey 5150 amp going through a cheapo cab and I didn't like how they sounded together. The Custom 5 was missing the mids that I liked in the JB, but my PRS is mid heavy, so it may balance out.
            CURRENT RIG:

Jet City JCA50H
            lots 'o pedals

Comment

Working...
            X