wiring question -3 sc's + tapped + N&B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring question -3 sc's + tapped + N&B

I'm thinking about doing a strat with a tapped bridge, and I'm considering adding the options of "all three on" and "neck and bridge" - probably SSLs with an SSL-3 bridge

(kinda like a G & L S-500, except for the tapped part).

Anyone tried something like this?

What do you think?

I would think this has been covered ... but I looked a little in the schematics and didn't find it quite what I need - I saw "tapped" and series, but not both together

I'd prefer mini toggles, rather than push/pull - just seems like they'd be better.

anyway, thanks kindly for any input

Peace
    "music heals"
    facebook

Re: wiring question -3 sc's + tapped + N&B

Curly, I'm not really into the whole tapped sc, or really true sc for that matter, I just think everything should be hum-cancelling ...
    That being said , I don't see any problems with what you want (and since push/pull pots and stand alone DPDT's are the same switch, they are wired the same exact way). You want a normal strat, but with a switch that combines the neck and bridge when either of those is selected, and a switch to select either full bridge, or tapped bridge right?
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
      Curly, I'm not really into the whole tapped sc, or really true sc for that matter, I just think everything should be hum-cancelling ...
      That being said , I don't see any problems with what you want (and since push/pull pots and stand alone DPDT's are the same switch, they are wired the same exact way). You want a normal strat, but with a switch that combines the neck and bridge when either of those is selected, and a switch to select either full bridge, or tapped bridge right?
      Kent,

right...

I like regular scs, and my custom strats are wired stock, except for a jumper for tone on the bridge.
      However, having used a Hot bridge, I feel a tap might be useful.

also, while I'm at it, I might do the "expander" switch, for a "versatile" strat ...
      I took a look at G & Ls s-500 wiring, and the switching with the expander "off" is normal, with the expander "on" it's:
      1) N&B
      2) All on
      3) Mid
      4) All on
      5) N&B

BTW, I should be able to figure this out between Duncan's "tapped" schematic, and G & Ls S-500 schematic

thanks kindly, sir!
      Last edited by Curly; 09-02-2004, 01:45 PM.
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

Curly; this is, more or less, exactly what I'm in the process of doing with my HSS Peavey Gen. There's a two-toggle version of this that I made, already on the board somewhere. Here's the pic:

Edit: Just did a quick & dirty edit of the pic to show what I mean.
        The "bridge" 3-way is wired to be "open" in the center position, the other two, "closed" in the center position.

On my Gen, there'll just be a third mini-3-way. So, if you consider the neck/middle as "group 1", and the bridge humbucker as "group 2", the switcing will be:

1st 3-way: neck / neck-middle / middle
        2nd 3-way: group 1 / group 1 & 2 / group 2
        3rd 3-way: north / humbucker / south

With all three switches in the middle, all coils are on. Its not as complicated as it sounds. I'll try to add the modified drawing a bit later. (Along with a control plate mock-up.)

Artie
        Last edited by ArtieToo; 09-02-2004, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
          Kent,

right...

I like regular scs, and my custom strats are wired stock, except for a jumper for tone on the bridge.
          However, having used a Hot bridge, I feel a tap might be useful.

also, while I'm at it, I might do the "expander" switch, for a "versatile" strat ...
          I took a look at G & Ls s-500 wiring, and the switching with the expander "off" is normal, with the expander "on" it's:
          1) N&B
          2) All on
          3) Mid
          4) All on
          5) N&B

BTW, I should be able to figure this out between Duncan's "tapped" schematic, and G & Ls S-500 schematic

thanks kindly, sir!
          Instead of the expander switch, you can do the same with the blender control (or even add both) if you want to go with only a master tone control.
          Greater versatility ... Just food for thought.
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

thanks, guys ...

I'm starting a new strat project, and considering a few options ...

your help is appreciated
            "music heals"
            facebook

Comment

Curly, that diagram doesn't match exactly what you're doing. Its just what I had on hand to give you an idea of the concept.

(You probably already knew that.)

Comment

yeah, Artie, I noticed ... thanks

and you guys down in FLA take it easy!
                "music heals"
                facebook

Comment

Kent,
                  that is ultra cool ...

I think I lied when I said I could figure it out myself!

thanks, kindly, Sir!
                  "music heals"
                  facebook

Comment

Working...
                  X