Custom for Dropped tunings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom for Dropped tunings?

I am finding that the custom is fine in standard tunings, which is mainly what I use it for it has a nice growl. But as soon as I drop the top string down the growl turns to a brittle low end and things start getting slighlty to muddy and lack crunch and definition i like a smoother low end. Anyway its not too much of a problem cause i use my other guitar for the dropped stuff if i hav to and i like the custom in standard.
    PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
    1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
    Blackstar HT-5
    2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
    Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Re: Custom for Dropped tunings?

Well, it's good that you have found a use for the Custom, because it is a remarkable pickup. I don't know why it's not working out for you in dropped tunings... but I guess it really doesn't matter since, like you said, you have another guitar dedicated for that.

Comment

I remember hearing from a guy on here a while back that the JB works GREAT with dropped tunings.
      Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
      Roland Cube 60
      Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
      BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
      LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
      Mogami Cables
      Mooer Candy Toppers
      Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
      Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

The Custom can sound hard and cold due to the ceramic magnet. Try the C-5, JB, or Rio BBQ.

Comment

Hybrid.

Jazz coil + Custom coil. Keep the A5 magnet. Maybe Ceramic magnet if not tight enough.

Hey....it's just a theory. Seems pretty similar to the Dropsonic to me, yet made w/ Duncan parts, so that's a plus.

Mud would NOT be a problem. Not enough coil windings. Not a muddy magnet.

I talk as if I've tried this........

Comment

Working...
          X