install a SC and a Little 59 side by side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• install a SC and a Little 59 side by side

How do I know that the magnets fit together? Does the single coil have to be reversed wound or is it just luck to get two pickups that pull and don't push each other? Thanks for your advice!

P.S. I have a SC and now I`m afraid to buy a little 59 that doesn't fit together with it.

Re: install a SC and a Little 59 side by side

It doesn't matter as the lil 59 is a side by side, two magnetic polarities, just like a full size HB ... you have to split it with the sc to remain humcancelling anyway. So you pick the correct coil that is opposite in polarity. Depends on what you sc you have now (regular or RW/RP and whether or not it's an ANT. pup, if so it's the exact opposite of the standard wind/polarites).
    If you have a regular sc then you would apply a ground tap to the white & red of the lil' 59;if you have a RW/RP sc, then you'd apply a hot tap to the white & red ... If the sc is and antiquity (ANT.) then you do the exact opposite to get it humcancelling and in phase.
    Last edited by Kent S.; 09-03-2004, 05:40 PM.
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

I'm bumping this up because I just added some info on an edit ...

Comment

Thank you Kent. I feel relieved now :-)

Comment

some people say you can get problems with the string pull using SCs. Will this be even worse with two pickups side by side?

Comment

Originally posted by Kasperl
            some people say you can get problems with the string pull using SCs. Will this be even worse with two pickups side by side?
            No, because the side by side pups are actually mini humbuckers, as such the magnet is further from the strings and the shape of the field is a bit different ... they pull less on the strings. The true single coil pole pieces ARE the magnets, as such they are a more concentrated field and pull more on the strings. check over the FAQ section of the SD main site for recommended height adjsutments for the pup.

Comment

no, I meant, because I install a sc and a humbucker in the neck postion (man, I must be crazy :-))

Comment

Originally posted by Kasperl
                no, I meant, because I install a sc and a humbucker in the neck postion (man, I must be crazy :-))
                The sc is still the main factor there, the rail pup shouldn't pull to much ... as long as you watch your height you should be fine.

Comment

okay, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X