Difference between Stl-2 and aptl-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Stl-2 and aptl-1

I was interested in purchasing the aptr-1 for my tele neck...But I'am not sure about whether the aptl-1 or stl-2 would be the best for the bridge...What are the differences between the aptl-1 and stl-2? I'm looking for something that will give me a wide range of tone. I play mainly blues, alternative, and rock. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: Difference between Stl-2 and aptl-1

I like the Jerry Donahue Lead for all around Tele work. It'll twang with the best of them and still have the muscle to play blues and rock. My second choice would be the APTL, with the Broadcaster Lead in third. I had the Broadcaster lead in my Tele for a while, but got tired of it and installed a JD which I love.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Thanks for the post, Cottreau. And welcome to the User Group Forum.

Originally posted by Cottreau
      What are the differences between the aptl-1 and stl-2?
      The APTL-1 has a warm, sweet tone with more natural string vibration for great sustain. Players who get their distortion from the amp rather than the pickup love the Alnico II Pro. It allows them to back off the crunch and get beautiful clean tones with softer attack. The Alnico II Pro has a rounder sound with a spongier bass response making it well suited to brighter instruments.

For the STL-2 Hot Tele, imagine taking the APTL-1 models and turning up the output. You get a fat and full punch in both the low frequencies and mid-range, yet it retains the muscular twang of a Vintage Tele lead pickup.

I hope that helps.

- Evan
      Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
      Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Evan,

This is a timely thread, as I have been thinking about the Hot Tele set for a new American Series Telecaster with alder body and rosewood fretboard. I want a set of pickups that will capitalize on the nice acoustic resonance this guitar has, and I'm torn between trying something new like the Hot Tele set or the Five-Two set vs. sticking with the Jerry Donahue Tele Lead that I know and love. As you may recall, I have a JD paired with a Phat Cat neck pickup in another Tele, but I wouldn't mind some Alnico 5 low end thump in this guitar. What combo would you suggest for blues and related material through vintage Fender and Gibson amps?

Thanks...

Bob Kelsey
        Last edited by Kelsey; 09-03-2004, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Personally, I love the STL-2 Hot. That's my Tele lead pickup (with an STR-1 Rhythm in the neck). Or, for hum-canceling, I like the Custom Shop BG1400 Stack (the Billy Gibbons Esquire pickup). They both work great for the music you play, through the amps you play.
          Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
          Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Evan and anyone else who can help,

I resurrected this thread to ask a few more questions about the STL-2.

1. Is the STL-2 Hot Tele lead a flatpole pickup?

2. Does the tapped version of the STL-2 sound more similar to the STL-1 Vintage 54 or STL-1b Broadcaster lead pickup?

3. Why use the STR-1 Vintage rhythm instead of the STR-2 Hot rhythm with the STL-2 Hot lead? Are these two rhythm pickups RWRP with respect to the Hot lead pickup?

I was going to order the Hot set, but now I'm wondering whether it would be better to order the STL-2 Hot tapped with the STR-2 Hot rhythm or STR-1 Vintage rhythm. Any advice from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kelsey
            Last edited by Kelsey; 09-17-2004, 10:38 AM.

Comment

bump

Comment

Working...
              X