I'm new to using Duncans looking for advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new to using Duncans looking for advise

I recently got a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck of my Ibanez RG. I think they are better than the Dimarzio's I had in there before but I'm noit sure if they are the sound I'm looking for. I want the most versatile pick ups with the best tone. I play in an experimental band and I do lots of different styles like Death metal,Jazz-fusion,funk,polka,country fingerpicking. I have a switch that splits all the pick ups and a great tele sound option.
    For the bridge on distortion I want to able to have tight metal riffs but still have great tone for solos and lead lines so you can hear every note and they don't get muffled together, good sustain. A high output with not too much mids or treble.
    Bridge clean: Not to bright I use it mostly for ska/polka riffs and progressive sounding picking passages where alot of notes ring out
    Neck clean:A good jazz tone that you can hear each indivdual notes not muffled together. Bassy but not too bassy but not overkill
    Neck dirty:lots of balls and clarity again of individual notes, good sustain.
    I'm looking for a sound similar to john petrucci dirty and a jazz-fusion clean.
    The jazz weak on distortion and the JB has great tone for solos but I'm not sure about the riffs. Looking for suggestions

Re: I'm new to using Duncans looking for advise

I think a Distortion set might be closer to what you are looking for.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

"For the bridge on distortion I want to able to have tight metal riffs but still have great tone for solos and lead lines so you can hear every note and they don't get muffled together, good sustain. A high output with not too much mids or treble. "

Sounds like you're describing the SH-5 Custom here. Not too much treble, chunky riffs, reasonably high output, great for leads (hell, Jason Becker used 'em), it doesn't have over the top output though, but plenty for most likings. Since the Distortion is very middy and bright, I'm not too sure if it'll work out for you.

"Neck dirty:lots of balls and clarity again of individual notes, good sustain.
      I'm looking for a sound similar to john petrucci dirty and a jazz-fusion clean."

That's defenitely the DiMarzio Air Norton, I'm not just saying this because Petrucci uses similar pick ups, but that thing's one of the ballsiest most airy neck pick ups ever. I think it's my all time favorite DiMarzio. I actually know a guy who has a piëzo bridge but never uses it because the Air Norton cleans up just as well.

Mixing brands is really cool, I do it all the time! When you can't find a pick up in this production line try another. You'll also get a unique combo and perhaps unique sounds
      Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
      Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
      Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
      Marshall 2x12 Vintage
      Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

I had an air norton in the neck and a steve's special in the bridge before I tried Duncans. The JB is definatley better sounding and more powerful than the Steve's special. I always liked the Air norton but after hearing how much better the JB was i figured Duncans were the way to go for everything. What Duncan neck pickups are similar or maybe even better than the Air Norton? Also what does anyone think about the Dimebucker in the bridge?

Comment

I have a very similar pick up to the Dimebucker in my V. The Bill Lawrence L500XL, someone on this board once told me they were almost identical so I hope this will do you any good. This pick up is fat, and really comes to life with drop tunings. It's got an average clean, not a clean up I like might I add. Th leads are fat and it's open to harmonics if you normally do them, it's not like the JB which is killer for harmonics, but might just be the next best thing. The tone is like Megadeth's Peace Sells album and you can go very Dimebag with this pup and the right rig. I personally like the Custom better though, it's less metal and more singing IMO.

A pick up better than the Air Norton is totally personal, as for similar I don't think I've ever heard a pick up similar to it. Maybe you might wanna try a Distortion neck, but it doesn't clean up as well (well enough though) and I believe it's more agressive and less open.
          Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
          Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
          Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
          Marshall 2x12 Vintage
          Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

I say either a Custom or a Distortion for the bridge, and an APH for the neck. The APH will do everything you just described for the neck, all very clean and articulate, even under the most gain. It will also have enough left at the end of the night to wind up your cables and get you a beer.

The Custom can be a little bright sometimes, depending on the guitar, because of the Ceramic magnet. The Distortion, even though it's ceramic as well, seems to have a different flavor, and may work better. One very overlooked pickup is the Blues Trembucker. It's designed to beef up the bridge position of a floyd guitar, where thin tones can occur. It's hotter than a standard PAF, but not as hot as a distortion or a Custom. If you amp is doing most of the work for your distortion, and you don't need to push it hard, that might just be the ticket.
            My Sound Clips

Comment

Working...
            X