MIJ Fender Stratocaster ~ SSL-1 Californian Set
    Gretsch Electromatic ~ GFS NYII & NYIII
    MIM Fender Tele ~ Quarter Pounder and Hot Tele Tapped
    Tokai MIJ SG - Gibson 57
    Tokai MIJ LP - Pearly Gates
    K.Yairi Gordon Giltrap Signature

Comment

Re: Pickups for 335 style guitar

Thanks for all the great advice. It is much appreciated. Beandip, since you have the same guitar and tried the diiferent pickups what was it about the Seth's you did not like and how are the PG's different?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
        I had a set of Seth's in my Sheraton and they sounded great for any style of music. I did swap them out for a pair of Phat Cats to try something different and a love them too. I guess I need to get another semi so I can use my Seth's
        Hey Benjy, does the Phat Cats nail the Strokes tone? I know he uses the Gibson version in his Epi and it sounded killer live and on record...my son has a nice 335 copy with a set neck and we're thinking of putting in some Cats...

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
        Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
        Celestion speakers
        Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
        Too many pedals....

Comment

Well, the basswood body and neck makes for a REALLY warm guitar, and the pickups sounded too muddy/warm due to the body. The PG just put more top end back into the guitar. The pickups that came with the guitar were actually quite good, but not up to the level of duncans though.
          This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Thanks. It is a warm sounding guitar and the pickups are decent especially considering the price. Did you change the pots at all and do youy know what pots are in the guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by butnut
              Hey Benjy, does the Phat Cats nail the Strokes tone? I know he uses the Gibson version in his Epi and it sounded killer live and on record...my son has a nice 335 copy with a set neck and we're thinking of putting in some Cats...
              Yep, it nails it. We cover some Strokes songs in my band, and it does a good job of it. Lots of cut and punch with VERY good cleans. Sometimes I play my Sheraton instead of my tele on the country style songs we play. I highly recommend the PC's to anybody with a 335 style axe.
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Thanks Benj...I look forward to dropping the phat boys in...I was right up against the stage when the Strokes came to town...they just kicked ass! Awesome tone from that Epi and a pair of Fender amps.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
                Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
                Celestion speakers
                Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
                Too many pedals....

Comment

Originally posted by butnut
                  Thanks Benj...I look forward to dropping the phat boys in...I was right up against the stage when the Strokes came to town...they just kicked ass! Awesome tone from that Epi and a pair of Fender amps.

I guess those Hot Rods from Fender really do sound good, no?
                  Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
                  X