Urgent Wiring Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent Wiring Help Needed

Alright hopefully this will all make sense...

I'm wiring my Strat with new pickups: Two authentic 1960's Fender Strat pickups neck and middle, and a Hot Rails bridge. The Fenders only have one wire, where do they go?

Any other info i might need? Thanks

-X
    green globe burned black by sunn

Re: Urgent Wiring Help Needed

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
    Alright hopefully this will all make sense...

I'm wiring my Strat with new pickups: Two authentic 1960's Fender Strat pickups neck and middle, and a Hot Rails bridge. The Fenders only have one wire, where do they go?

Any other info i might need? Thanks

-X
    Black should go to ground, and white is hot to the switch. Is your hot rails a 4 conductor (sorry, I don't know much about rails). If it is, you may have to run black and bare to ground and green to the switch. Modern Fender pups are magnetically out of phase with Duncans....Fender has switched over the years. Wire it normally first, and if it sounds thin and farty in the #4 position, switch the wires.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

Yeah but my new Strat pups only have a black wire. How do I wire it to the switch AND the controls?

My idea for this guitar: 5: bridge 4: bridge split 3: bridge and neck 2: bridge split & neck 1: neck

So just the Hot Rails bridge and one 60's single-coil neck...haha any help would be appreciated

Also is there any way to do this without fresh solder? hahaha...

-X

Comment

Every pickup must have at least two wires to work. Its likely that the Fenders have a "shielded" wire, with one within the other. Check out this webpage, and see if its similar to this: (with instructions on how to utilize it)

Shielded wire

The other possibility is that there's only one wire, and you need to solder another one to the baseplate. But thats unlikely. More likely the first scenario.

Comment

okay you were right about the shielded wire...now, a new problem

My soldering iron isn't soldering...umm how do I un-solder and then re-solder? do i need more solder or can i use old solder already on the guitar? actually it doesn't even look like solder, it looks like little pieces of metal clipped together really tight...i'm so confused x.x

-X

Comment

Working...
          X