Got a question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a question!

I have been playing alot lately and feel that I have TOO much bass on my neck pickup and too little on my bridge pickup. I have a JB at the Bridge and a 59' at the neck. Would swapping the pickups around help this problem or would it increase it? What are your guys thoughts on this?? Thanks alot!

Josh

Re: Got a question!

It wouldn't be any better, and the neck is already a more powerful position. With the JB at 17k moved to the neck and the 8K 59 moced to the bridge it's going to be pretty off in output.

What kind of guitar/amp and what kind of music do you play? Maybe we can chime in some more suitible pickups to replace them with.

Comment

Well, right now I am kind of all over the place. I like doing plain clean rythm work and that is were my main problem is. Everytime I start to get into my strum more than 5 seconds the bass becomes to overwhelming for my ears. I use my bridge pickup and bass control on my amp to curb this but it only helps so much. Everytime my bass strings start to drown everything out. At least to my ears. It drives me nuts. I have tried lowering that end of the pup and messing with the screws on the pickup......just can't et it to my satisfaction. Stupid vintage gibby buckers have spoiled my ear! I just can't like anything less now! I also like punk and rock and pretty much anything else from blues, jazz and anything in between. So, far as my amp goes. It is a little Behringer Firebird GX108. I just don't have money for anything better right now until I get my peavey head sold. What I want is a pickup that will give me good cleans and decent but versatile distortion. Esentially. But, then again my guitar is a Epi Special 2 and I can't help but wonder if it is even worth pouring more money into it. What, are your guys thoughts on my tonal needs?

Comment

If you are spoiled by that stupid vintage Gibby bucker tone I can only suggest a pair of Antiquitys for that guitar. You'll definately have a warmer bridge tone and less boomy tone from the neck pickup. A set of Seth Lovers would also be a good choice. The bottom end on those two sets is more balanced than pronounced and the fuller mid content from the alnico II magnets will give you a warmer, rounder tone.

Many players are under the impression that you need a higher output pickup to get distortion, but that statement is not nessessarily true. While you might not dead ringer Megadeath with a vintage output set of pickups, you can definately get more than enough distortion from them, especially through the right amp or with a deceint OD or distortion pedal (or multi-effect unit).

The guitar is most likely ok for now unless it has major neck/fret/hardware issues that need addressing. I would suggest doubling up your efforts to move the Peavey and get into something with at least a 12" speaker and tubes. You'll find your tone will get less boomy and much warmer coming from a solid tube amp.
        www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
        www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Yank out the '59....I always thought they were too bassy in the neck. Try a Jazz instead for more clarity and less bass. For the bridge try a Custom as that will beef up the bottom end some.

Comment

Working...
          X