banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is a warmer pickup: Duncan CC or Rio BBQ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is a warmer pickup: Duncan CC or Rio BBQ?

Wondering whcih pickup is the warmer of the two, Duncan Custom Custom, or Rio Grande BBQ?

Which has less treble? Which is bigger sounding in the mix with a band?

Which is bigger sounding when playing single notes?

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
    buggjuice.net
    MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re: Which is a warmer pickup: Duncan CC or Rio BBQ?

The Custom Custom has a bigger and more fuller sound. The BBQ is great distorted and overdriven but lacks high end clarity and definition. The BBQ is great for playing ZZ Top style rhythms but lacks the bite and chime on the single strings notes. The Custom Custom has a very creamy well rounded sound that can be big and full. When you turn up the volume it overdrives great and can do everything the BBQ can but cleans up nice also. I would go with the Custom Custom. If you decide you want a BBQ...I am pulling one out of my strat which I am replacing with a TB-11 Custom Custom.

Comment

I really like the CC with an alnico 3 magnet. It still sounds like a CC, but it'll give you a little more bass and treble, and cut back on the midrange a bit.

Ryan
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by Mac-P
        Wondering whcih pickup is the warmer of the two, Duncan Custom Custom, or Rio Grande BBQ?

Which has less treble?
        BBQ

Which is bigger sounding in the mix with a band?
        CC

Which is bigger sounding when playing single notes?
        CC
        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

In my opinion the BBQ is a huge, rich, thick, juicy, and complex sounding pickup. Let me just say you guys have me wanting to try a CC. How is the CC for heavy music such as tight palm mutes? I am surprised it is so big sounding since it has a narrow focus on mids....correct?

Thanks!

PS......do they work well in LPs?

Comment

Thanks everyone.

As far as the BBQ not having as much treble as the CC, I am really not concerned with that. Less treble is good as far as I'm concerned in the bridge slot.

The tone curve on the CC would lead you to believe that there is not a lot of bass. Is this true?

Also, which pickup has more mids and are they high mids or low mids?

Thanks!!!
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
            buggjuice.net

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I am not sure how the Custom Custom would sound in a Les Paul but it is a phenomonal match for the Strat bridge. I was suprised when I saw that it was midrange boosted because this gives me the best palm mutes and thickest tones of any pickup that I have tried. I have heard great things about a BBQ in a Les Paul....it just didn't workout in my strat. If I were putting a pickup in a Les Paul based on the tone that you seem to be trying to attain....I would get a Gibson Angus Humbucker. It gives you great low end but it has a sparkling high end and each note chimes. It's a great all around pickup....basically an overwound 57 classic. I liked the BBQ at first but after using the Angus...I noticed that my solos and fills didn't have that sparkle and presence with the BBQ that they had when I used my guitar with the Angus. In a Strat....I dont think any pickup can come close to the tone that a Custom Custom gives you from my standpoint...but in a Les Paul or SG....I would go with the Angus Humbucker.

Comment

So is the Angus big and full?? I am curious about that one for sure.

I did notice a huge difference when I replaced all my JBs with Rio BBQs. The tone got bigger, fuller, thicker, richer, with more body for sure. I also agree with Mac that less highs in the bridge can be a good thing.

My buddy just started using the Rio BBQ and he also appreciates that the Rio lacks highs......as this really compliments most modern amps which to me sound too bright! The BBQ has plenty of mids and tons of low end. Some say the BBQ has lots of high mids like the JB, but less (smoother) highs and more bass.

One pickup I have to try in my LP is the C-5 and Custom. The C-5 is going in this week.

My thing is that I try to fill up a lot of sound since I am the primary guitarist in our band. So far, the BBQ has been it.
                Last edited by papersoul; 03-29-2004, 09:57 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't say the Angus is big and full like the Custom Custom but it has more sparkle in soloing and you can hear each note. The Custom Custom has a great creamy sound as where the Angus seems to have a thinner but growling in your face sound that chimes ( I am running out of adjectives to use). Play the Angus through a Marshall Tube and it sounds huge. It sounds great on AC/DC obviously but we also play Fortunate Son and Long Cool Woman and it nails that tone especially on the the intros which cut through and seem to sustain perfect. I liked the BBQ until I tried the Angus. I think the BBQ is similar to Malcolm Youngs tone which seems to be heavier and darker than Angus. I have a BBQ that will be available in about a week if anyone is interested. I know it wont mesh with my Basswood Heavy Metal Strat which is already a darktone guitar....so in about a week it will be homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
                    So is the Angus big and full?? I am curious about that one for sure.

I did notice a huge difference when I replaced all my JBs with Rio BBQs. The tone got bigger, fuller, thicker, richer, with more body for sure. I also agree with Mac that less highs in the bridge can be a good thing.

My buddy just started using the Rio BBQ and he also appreciates that the Rio lacks highs......as this really compliments most modern amps which to me sound too bright! The BBQ has plenty of mids and tons of low end. Some say the BBQ has lots of high mids like the JB, but less (smoother) highs and more bass.

One pickup I have to try in my LP is the C-5 and Custom. The C-5 is going in this week.

My thing is that I try to fill up a lot of sound since I am the primary guitarist in our band. So far, the BBQ has been it.
                    You see, I HATED the C5. I like a LOT of mids in the bridge position. The C5 has the mids pulled back, which isn't my taste.

Right now I am using an old pre-logo JB that I got back in the 80's. It is the best pickup I have tried in the bridge slot of this particular guitar. Nice and wide single notes.

I am trying to hone in on even a MORE perfect tone, and I'd like to find something that has a hair less highs, and more low mids, while keeping the power and retaining clarity.

I do not use a lot of gain. I use a Custom Shop Fulldrive 2 through a mostly clean Fender to give you an idea.

I have heard great things about the Rio BBQ, but contradictory stuff as well. Some people say it has scooped mids like the C5. Others say it has nice healthy robust mids. Which is it?

The Duncan CC has always interested me, but I did not like the Custom, and liked the Custom 5 even less. So I find it hard to believe that the CC can be SO much different. I really want a WARMER, thicker tone in the bridge.

SO, I am still trying to figure this one out.....

Any more input? It is greatly appreciated!!!

Peace.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    buggjuice.net

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I have used the JB, Screamin Demon and Pearly Gates all of which had a little quirk or two that I didn't like. They all sounded thin to me in my alder strat. I bought the JB based on the reviews I read on it and it seemed like the perfect pickup in print but the JB just sounded dull (sorry guys from the poll)...it wasn't that tone I was looking for. The Screamin Demon had great high end sparkle and clarity but was a too thin sounding and lacked the low end that I wanted. The Pearly Gates and my strat didn't mesh at all. The BBQ sounded great playing rhythms but when soloing didn't chime and the high notes lacked brightness ( the BBQ could be the ultimate ZZ Top tone pickup that I have played though...it nails it almost perfect) But when I put the Custom Custom in....it was incredible. The difference between the Custom, Custom 5 and the Custom Custom is the magnets. The Custom uses ceramic which is going to give you a bright tone, the Custom 5 uses an alnico 5 which will give you more bass and softer yet present highs and the Custom Custom uses alnico 2 which is a warmer more vintage tone. All 3 are high output pickups but I think the alnico 2 is what tones down the harshness and smooths out this pickup. It has incredible lowend and is just so smooth but really is great when overdriving your amp. I have my Custom Custom in a strat and can't really render an opinion of how it would sound in anything other than a Fender Guitar.

Comment

Guys,

First we have to settle on the definition of big and fat! To me that means postively related to lowermids. The tone becomes throaty instead of nasal. I don't remember who it was, but that person presented a greeat (I think) analogy here. C5/BBQ vs CC is like a louder wild cat screaming versus a tiger roaring.

That said, the bass is different. On CC it is spongy, smooth, not in your face as in a5 #43 hot pickups. It is not that defined, but there is bass! And there are highs, plenty of them. A5's have more uppermids, hence that nasal scream that gets annoying with #43 a5 hot pickups (just my humble opinion) with high DC values.

I used a BBQ for a long time, over two years. I had 2sets one of which I still keep. I traded one set here (Mac-P remember ?). BBQ is a weird pickup. Lots of uppermids, noticeably less highs, not much lower mids and plenty of in your face bass. It reminds me to a dark 498T! I used to love the BBQ for the aggressive tone it has, think of a dark but nasal scream. In fact early 90's ACDC work features lots of that. Another problem is that BBQ has too focused tone I think. Yet it is not that defined. So that's why I say it is somewhat weird.

BTW in the tips clips I have some clips of my CC/PGn set and BBQ/TExas set.

B

A side note: C5 in a fat LP bridge with a marshall or bassman does have a lot of mids. In fact then CC might become a little blurry. And for the inbetween cases A3 is the one to have! My favorite so far, against c5 and c2.

Comment

Mac-P, swapping the magnet is not that difficult. If you like your JB so much, and need a little more low-mids, less in your face bass, and less uppermids, I would suggest getting some a4's if you can find them, and a3's, and trying that JB of yours with those magnets.

A jump from JB to CC would be quite a change.

Comment

Originally posted by EVH5150
                            I wouldn't say the Angus is big and full like the Custom Custom but it has more sparkle in soloing and you can hear each note. The Custom Custom has a great creamy sound as where the Angus seems to have a thinner but growling in your face sound that chimes ( I am running out of adjectives to use). Play the Angus through a Marshall Tube and it sounds huge. It sounds great on AC/DC obviously but we also play Fortunate Son and Long Cool Woman and it nails that tone especially on the the intros which cut through and seem to sustain perfect. I liked the BBQ until I tried the Angus. I think the BBQ is similar to Malcolm Youngs tone which seems to be heavier and darker than Angus. I have a BBQ that will be available in about a week if anyone is interested. I know it wont mesh with my Basswood Heavy Metal Strat which is already a darktone guitar....so in about a week it will be homeless.
                            I think you nailed it when you said Malcolm's tone and the BBQ as heavy and dark. That is exactly what i go for with our band....it works well with our style. It made a big difference in my dean Evo Premium but honestly that guitar is so dark on its own.......the BBQ was a little overkill. I think the BBQ might balance better in my Les Paul which is brighter and lively. I had practice last night with the stock Burstbucker Pros and I can't wait to replace these pickups. My biggest fear is that I'll go around and around and never find the right pickups for this LP. I had the same experience with my Hamer Studio.

The thing with my LP is that it sounds tight and clear, but rather thin and brittle. I need a BIGGER tone for sure. I am waiting to get a Custom from ebay as a test.

Comment

Mac, I really think warmer and thicker in the bridge is the Rio BBQ. I say try it....you might just find your pickup.

You say you hated the C-5....but that was in an SG? I think it balanced a million times better in a Les Paul because of the huge mids of most Pauls.

But, I like you....tend to lean toward a pickup with more mids. That is a big reason I want to try the Custom. Many people say the Custom is like the JB but with less highs, and more lower mids. Also I hear it is warmer than the JB and C-5. We'll see.

What didn't you like about the Custom?

Doc,

Any thoughts in my case? I do hear ya on the BBQ. The one thing I miss is the tight low end. Remember I am playing a very heavy style but I do need a nice thick clean in the bridge. My next test is the C-5 in my Les Paul. This is not a heavy LP....more like 8 lbs and very lively in tone. I am hoping it has enough mids to fill out the C-5.

You have me intrigued over the C-3.
                              Last edited by papersoul; 03-30-2004, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X