banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is a warmer pickup: Duncan CC or Rio BBQ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which is a warmer pickup: Duncan CC or Rio BBQ?

Rich, don't compare pickups in different guitars. Seriously, the conclusions may be reversed when you do the comparison in the same wood.

And I did not say BBQ was harsh, it is on the harsh side ok, but what I said was: on the very same settings that makes a C5 crisp clean, BBQ sounds muddy and harsh. Of course, then I was changing the settings! See?

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Sorry Doc if I miss quoted.

Why did you find the BBQ so dark....what type of music do you play? Sometimes I feel modern amps are too bright and the BBQ is needed.

Thanks for the advice. The weird thing is, my dean Evo Premium is a very dark, dense, and rich sounding guitar, and with the BBQ, sounded huge at rehearsal and gigs.....but pretty muddy and had a hard time standing out as many fellow guitarists in the audience mentioned.

Enter the LP Standard at about 8 lbs is very lively and focused sounding...not as dark as the Dean but it actually sounds deeper. I noticed a deep tone with the Burstbucker Pros but scooped and a little thin...very vintage and not high gain modern hard rock. This LP plays so darn nice and feels great.

I got this from another forum (LPF) but it fits my guitars well..."Acustically, the Dean has a lot of low end and mids with a smooth, mellow treble, while the LP has a very sparkely treble and prescence, nice mids and subdued bass. The LP seems slightly louder, though that might just be that the treble is percieved by the ear as louder?" From these descriptions, any advice on p'ups? Rio for the LP? What about the Dean? Maybe even an Air Zone for the LP.

I installed the C-5 and noticed thing beefed up in all areas but the overall EQ is about similar to the BB Pro.....but the C-5 has better mids and is a little more clear. Also, hotter.

It's funny how our ears get used to a tone..........if I play my LP for a half hour, my Dean sounds terrible on the same settings when I make a switch. The if I play the Dean for a while on these same settings for a while, the LP sounds smaller on the same settings.

I think I need to play with the height of the C-5 and the amp setting sto get a good idea what it can do in my LP before switching. I was quick to switch out the BB Pro, but the concensus from other was that they all enjoyed the results when swapping out the BB Pros. The one thing I didn't do is raise the pickups very high with the BB Pros because I was under the impression it would cause tuning and wolfe notes issues. I talked to some reliable contacts, musicians and store owners in the area who said they only find that to be an issue with single coils so they said crank the p'ups up as high as I want....basically use my ears. I wish I did that with the BB pros befor eswapping....oh well.

As a side note......why can Gibson chanrge $100 for one BB Pro p'up when Duncan charges less! Are they saying they are boutique? hand wound? higher quality? What gives? The name?

Anyway......my goal with the LP is to get as BIG and as WARM a tone as possible for modern hard rock.
      Last edited by papersoul; 04-01-2004, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
        As a side note......why can Gibson chanrge $100 for one BB Pro p'up when Duncan charges less! Are they saying they are boutique? hand wound? higher quality? What gives? The name?
        While we're on the topic, how can Gibson charge as much as they do for some of the new Les Pauls (or even SG's)? Puleeeeeze!

It's called "we're Gibson and we can charge you for the name".

Having said that, they are STILL my favorite guitar company. I am one of MANY suckers!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
        buggjuice.net
        MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Mac, why do you like SGs so much?? I'd love to actually get an SG Standard some day.

Personally, I lOVE the new LP Standard. Mine plays like a DREAM!!!! Unbelievable how easy and fast it plays for me!!

How does the SG Standard neck compare?

Comment

Hey guys I have the fillmore and actually put a clip of it up throuigh my Marshall here. IT is a great Allman classic rock/AC/DC tone. turn it down and it has amazing blues. I am looking for something more hi gain now though for another LP Custom. Thinking of either getting the CC or the EMG 85/60. If I went way of the CC what would be a good neck pup? Jazz?
            Heres the Fillmore clips if interested.
            Clips at: http://media-creations.net/fillmores.htm

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo
              Rich, don't compare pickups in different guitars. Seriously, the conclusions may be reversed when you do the comparison in the same wood.

B
              Amen to this- I posted this somewhere else before, but it's worth mentioning here. I have a JB/Jazz set in a very bright guitar, and even with 250k pots it's too much. I was in a music store and tried out a Schecter with the same pickups in it- the tone was very dark. I then picked up a Charvel with the same combo and it was perfect! Very 80's, but nice and clear and well-balanced. I didn't believe it before, but the guitar's wood has as much to do with the guitar's tone as the pickups.
              Carvin SC90 (Jazz neck, CC bridge)
              Fender Aerodyne Telecaster (stock pups: tele bridge and p-90 neck)
              Ampeg Reverberocket combo

http://emayhem.com/toptenidols
              http://emayhem.com/the_fords
              (note: these songs were not recorded using the gear mentioned above...)

Comment

I agree 100% about not comparing pickups between different guitars. I have found that the guitar will have a HUGE impact on the tone! That said, I don't think the BBQ get's enough respect......as I really find it rich with harmonic complexity and very full sounding. It can be dark but I find it hot and bright in my LP with 500k volume pots! I dopn't see the clarity issue poeple talk about...

Comment

Will a CC have as much output and EQ range as the EMG 85?

Comment

It's been soo long since I had an EMG 85 I can't really compare.

I guess as a resident CC user, I should give some comments. I have a CC in my new Heritage Les Paul and it's very nice. It gives tone like it says in the description. it's very warm and sweet and gives a tone like a vintage guitar with a lot more horsepower. I think of the tone I can get as a lot like the warm rich tones of the 70's. I have a guitar with a C5 that I also play, and there is a huge difference. I think that the biggest difference that I can notice is when I am playing with other people or an audio track. The C5 is great at home alone, but when I throw it into the mix it actually sounds kinda thin. I think that the bass just gets lost under a real bass player. My CC guitar really cuts through well. Instead of just the really high notes coming through the mix (what I get with my C5), I get the warmth of the mids. It's really noticable when I am soloing. There is definetely less bass in the CC than my C5. The C5 is huge in the bottom, and when I play chunka chunkas it sounds mean. But the CC sounds like a real vintage style LP guitar playing in a band back when I was a kid in the 70's. It's smooth in the bottom, and that gives it a great comfortable feeling to it. I would really recommend it for people who aren't looking for that huge bottom.

As to what to put it in the mix with, I love the AII pro that I have now in mine. Several people that I know love the CC with a Seth. The AII pro has a bit more bass, and in my mind is a bit sweeter bluesier tone. But I think that the Seth would also go great.
                    Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

The BBQ will have more mids than the C-5 and sound more full, but don't forget about the JB which is one of the greatest work hourses of all time.

Comment

Thanks Kaknight. Will Seymour D sell them seth and SH-11 with nickel covers?> Will they fit in covers no problem?

Comment

Seths come with covers normally so that's not a problem. My CC came with a cover and vacuum wax potting right from the factory! It's called a floor custom. I think they charge $10 more, but it looks great, and won't give you microphonics. You can get em through Black Rose for a song.
                          Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

"Take a solo after the tenor sax player. How is your tone? THAT is what big is about to me."

Amen Brother Mac,

Bought a 498T 14k and a Dirty Fingers 12k yesterday. Doc said 498 has more mid than C5 and if that’s not enough mid I'll try it with an a2 stick of butter.

Concern with not having enough top so I bought the DF too. I don't know what gauge either are but if the 498 is #42 it won't be in the guitar a week.

I was perusing eBay for a custom (weather you like the ceramic or not get it cause it gives you a thin ceramic to try in other PUs that came with alnicos without doing mods to them) and a DDn (under wound custom both are #43) to try in bridge positions while I still have a JB, DD, and a 14.6k #42-43 hybrid in guitars.

I know that in the end Doc is right (balanced set of #42s or even a pushy #42 in the bridge (9.5 - Angus)) but I'm already committed to the Hi-z shoot out.

Coltrane played a tenor sax but if you didn't know you'd think it was an alto (a special one-LOL) cause he didn't do the gut buster low notes. Duane Allman came the closest to Coltrane's tone that I've ever heard.

When John McLaughlin ordered his first mesa he ordered a second one for someone he had never even met and had them shipped to England. He phoned Santana Ask him to do an album with him and that he had a gift for him, come to England.

John turned Santana on to Coltrane, Mesas, and Gurus. I'm sure their conversation turned to how to get Duane's tone (the Contain tone) without a Cheesy Germanium transistor fuzz in front of an already gained out tube amp.

Hi-z bridge PU's are my last stab at avoiding the fuzz box.

Late Chuck
                            Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Working...
                            X