What pickups come stock in pre 98 SG Standards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pickups come stock in pre 98 SG Standards

a friend of mine is looking to buy a pre 98 SG standard. I figure it doesnt have the 498T and the 490R like today's because those are newer. Just doing research, what pups does it have?
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Re: What pickups come stock in pre 98 SG Standards

I'm afraid you'll need to be more precise than pre-98 to solve this.

As far as I know Gibson have been putting the 498T/490R combo in Standard SGs since well before 1998. Early 90s, late 80s? Up to 2002 they put them in Les Paul Standards too - I have a '96 LP Standard, and that had the 498T/490R in it when I bought it.

So you'll need to know what year the SG in question was made and what year the 498T/490R pickups became the standard.

You could try posting at the Les Paul Forum on "The Other Gibsons" section. There's a lot of SG knowledge around there.

Comment

The 70's era SGs had the Super Humbucker pups in them. They were a decent output pickup and were epoxy potted, which meant that when the cover became beat up, you had to replace the pickup or live with a dull, grungy cover. They may have used other models, too, but the SGs that I own have or had those in them.
      www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Who cares what pickups are in it, you're gonna replace 'em anyway

-X
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Working...
        X