No announcement yet.

Love my Tele but my Nitefly needs work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love my Tele but my Nitefly needs work!

I have a Jap tele with Texas Specials and I love the sound I can get through my Blues Junior.
    I also have a Parker Nitefly SA with a SSH config. The tone is "ok'ish" but I can't get the bite or the growl that I get from my Tele.
    I've searched around for info on replacing the Dimarzios in the Nitefly but can't find much help.
    Does anyone have any recommendations based on experience with the Nitefly?
    Thanks
    Gizmo

Re: Love my Tele but my Nitefly needs work!

well i never owned a nitefly but if you tell us more about the body woods then we can probably help you a little easier. Welcome to the forum
    Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Thanks for the welcome mrfjones.

The Nitefly is a very light swamp ash body. The neck is mahogany I think but with a carbon fibre shell.
      its really a very light guitar and sounds ok with the DiMarzios but very clean and not really enough bite. (I use 11's on this and the Tele)
      The Tele is a Basswood body with Texas Specials. The pups break up nicely with nice attack, but can still play clean.
      Its something similar that I'm trying to get with my HSS Nitefly.

Any advice...links would be welcome...anyone at all who's changed Nitefly pups.

Gizmo

Comment

Anyone at all...anything???
        perleez!

Comment

What Tones Are You After ? And What Gear ( Amp/efx) Do You Use?....
          "Get a BIBLE: open it, read it, and believe it" - Me

Comment

Considering Your Post I Would Suggest A Couple Of Different Combos

Jb(bridge)/lil 59/ Lil 59 Nice Cleans As Well As Split.

Cc (bridge)/vintage Rail/ Cool Rail
            Same As Above But A Little More Power And You Can Always Change The Magnet In The Cc To Make A Different Custom Pup.

Or If You Are Looking For Real Single Coils

59 Or Cc(bridge)/ Ssl52/ Ssl52

My .02 Cents I Hope This Helps

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SOLO GUITAR STEWIE
              What Tones Are You After ? And What Gear ( Amp/efx) Do You Use?....
              Thanks for the tips. Chris

What I'm trying to do is get a little closer to my Tele with the Texas Specials.
              I use a Blues Junior or a Deluxe Reverb, mostly straight in but sometimes through a Magic Stomp on a clean setting with just a little gain.

The Tele has a "bite" that I can't get on the Nitefly.

I hear the Texas Specials tend to break up a bit, maybe thats what I like about them. They sound great with a glass slide too.

Comment

Np I Would Prob Say To Try (a New Recomendation)
                Remember Sd Has A 21 Day Exchange Policy
                Im Changing My Suggestions To Try And Match Your Tone
                Wants/

C-5/ssl52/ssl52

Stag Mag/ Vintage Rails /vintage Rails

Hope This Helps

Comment

Originally posted by SOLO GUITAR STEWIE
                  C-5/ssl52/ssl52

Stag Mag/ Vintage Rails /vintage Rails
                  So what's a Stag Mag and a C-5? Can't seem to find them here..are they Duncans.
                  The ssl52 look interesting, but won't they warm up the top too much?

Gosh, this is complicated.

Hey, what about a Twang Banger??? I just saw that one and it sounds interesting....any knowledge?
                  Last edited by Gizmo; 09-14-2004, 01:18 PM.

Comment

HERE ARE THE SD DESCRIPTIONS AS TAKEN FROM THIS WEB SITE...(DONT SHOOT ME
                    EVAN!!)

"SH-3 -- A versatile humbucker with the edgy brightness of a single coil pickup and the option of the humbucker's full-toned warmth. Staggered rod magnets contribute to the unique sound. When split and used in single coil mode, the sound is characteristic of a vintage Strat ®. "

VS

"The SH-14 Custom 5 pickup was developed by an eager group of contributors to our web user group who replaced the ceramic or Alnico 2 magnet in an SH-5 Custom or SH-11 Custom Custom with an Alnico 5. Tonally, the Custom 5 is a compromise between these two pickups. It offers the optimum balance of warmth, punch, power and clarity.
                    Compared to the SH-5 and SH-11, the tone is more vintage, with less distortion, but it’s still very strong and powerful. It’s fuller than an SH-5 with softer highs, more bass, and slightly less output. It’s got a great rhythm sound and a beautiful, deep singing lead tone. Clean sounds are rich and full with enhanced presence. Think of the Custom 5 as a higher output SH-1 ’59 with a deeper bottom end and expanded output. "

NOW ONTO THE SINGLE COILS

SSL52-1 The Five-Two replacement pickup for Stratocaster® utilizes sand cast alnico 5 magnets on the three low strings. This adds more definition and punch to the bottom end. Alternatively, the Five-Two uses sand cast alnico 2 magnets on the three high strings. This gives the player a warm and smooth top end without sacrificing that great Strat® "quack." Strat® players often complain that their low strings sound "mushy" and their high strings are too bright - especially in the bridge position. The Five-Two concept counteracts this phenomenon. If you look closely at the pickup, you can actually see the difference between the two magnet types. In addition to the basic replacement pickup (SSL52-1) there is a hotter version for the bridge (SLS52-1b) and one with reverse wind-reverse polarity for the middle position (SSL52-1 RwRp).

Magnet Alnico II & V Rods*
                    D.C. Resistance 6.7K(n/m/b) 6.9K(Custom Bridge)
                    resonant Peak 8.2KHz(n/m/b) 7.9KHz(Custom Bridge
                    E.Q. 5/5/6 Low/Mid/High
                    Cable Single Conductor Cloth
                    Output Moderate

VS

APST-1 So you want both the twangy, muscular punch of a gutsy Tele®; and the chimey, bell-tone “quack” of a Strat®? No need to carry around two guitars. The APST-1 Twang Banger™ is designed to administer a big-time twang injection into your Strat for the best-of-both-worlds Tele®-plus-Strat® tone.
                    One of the secrets is the copper-coated steel bottom plate. Combine that with the aggressive coil windings, the Alnico II magnets wrapped in plain enamel wire, and the result is a high-output, single coil, twang-beast.
                    D.C. Resistance: 8.27K Ohms
                    Resonant Peak: 5.6 KHz

YOU CAN FIND ALL THIS INFORMATION AT
                    Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

Comment

Working...
                    X