peavey wolfgang pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peavey wolfgang pickups

anybody ever put peavey wolfgang pickups into a non- wolfgang guitar?

EVH is GOD

check out the Splawn Fans Forum at http://splawnfans.proboards38.com

Re: peavey wolfgang pickups

I have i tried the bridge wolfgang in my VH replica and now have a set in a OLP MM 1.
    the wolf pickups are great man! they are hot but really get the old 1978-81 VH tone?
    check out this clip

Thank you for your interest in Guitars101.com. A forum community dedicated to guitar owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about collections, displays, models, styles, amps, modifications, kits, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

it is by J-mart over at http://www.guitars101.com/boards/pos...Board/Tributes
    he has several other clips with a stock wolfgang and marshall super lead
    also at www.plexipalace.con there is a guy named neve who used a wolfgang EXP with a marshall and his clips are also real good.
    I hear many guys say the wolfgang pu's are harsh yeah IF you dont use them right any pu can be harsh!

Comment

Originally posted by shreddin_ED
      I have i tried the bridge wolfgang in my VH replica and now have a set in a OLP MM 1.
      the wolf pickups are great man! they are hot but really get the old 1978-81 VH tone?
      check out this clip

Thank you for your interest in Guitars101.com. A forum community dedicated to guitar owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about collections, displays, models, styles, amps, modifications, kits, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

it is by J-mart over at http://www.guitars101.com/boards/pos...Board/Tributes
      he has several other clips with a stock wolfgang and marshall super lead
      also at www.plexipalace.con there is a guy named neve who used a wolfgang EXP with a marshall and his clips are also real good.
      I hear many guys say the wolfgang pu's are harsh yeah IF you dont use them right any pu can be harsh!
      Yah, either that or we have already lost all our high frequency hearing! I cant believe so many people think they suck, it beyond me! I love em! If only i had my wolfgang back....
      EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Comment

Actually I swapped in my Wolfpickup in my strat the other day.
        I wanted a hotter sound for some stuff I am making, and that thing just sounded great in my strat.

Comment

Hmm sorry for digging this old one up.
          But do anyone know the technical specs for a SuperD Dimarzio??
          The thread they used and how it was winded?
          Because is it not the same as this??
          the wolfgang bridge pickup specs..its 13.85k
          > > alnico 5 magnet,nylon bobbins.
          > > 7000 turns of 43guage each bobbin.adjustable pole
          > > bobbin south polarity.wound top going or ccw from
          > > start wire.outside of coils joined together.hot is
          > > inside of north bobbin.ground is inside of south
          > > bobbin.it has positive phase chec

Except the AlnicoV magnet??

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
            Hmm sorry for digging this old one up.
            But do anyone know the technical specs for a SuperD Dimarzio??
            The thread they used and how it was winded?
            Because is it not the same as this??
            the wolfgang bridge pickup specs..its 13.85k
            > > alnico 5 magnet,nylon bobbins.
            > > 7000 turns of 43guage each bobbin.adjustable pole
            > > bobbin south polarity.wound top going or ccw from
            > > start wire.outside of coils joined together.hot is
            > > inside of north bobbin.ground is inside of south
            > > bobbin.it has positive phase chec

Except the AlnicoV magnet??
            dimarzio SD,
            large ceramic magnet
            7000 turns of awg 43

the wolfgang bridge pickup is 14.5K not 13.8, but if you put a alnico 5 in a super D they sound very similar.
            here take a look at this chart,

if you take out the large ceramic and put in a 5 the mids come down below the bass and treble making it sound scooped like a wolf,it has about the same output as a wolfgang bridge as well with a 5 instead of a ceramic.
            Last edited by shreddin_ED; 04-05-2004, 10:53 AM.

Comment

here is what EVH said himself about the super D in gutar player mag,

GP: Did you make another guitar for Van Halen II and your second world tour?

EVH: Yeah. Well, see, it was my idea to have it rear-loaded, so I wouldn't have a pickguard. So Charvel routed it for me, because at the time I couldn't afford a router. So they claim that they built it for me, which is actually bull****. You know, all they did was what I told them to do. That's the guitar on the second album cover. The pickup that's in the picture is not really what I used. When we did the photo session for the album cover, I just finished painting it and slapping it together, and I just stuck some garbage pickup in there I wasn't actually playing, just so it looked like a complete guitar. But I've tried a bunch of different pickups in there. I took the pickkup out of the first one and put it in there, and it didn't sound too good. So I got a DiMarzio pickup, and I don't really go for those, because they're real distorted. See, I like a clean sound, but with sustain. I hate the fuzz box, real raspy sound. I don't particularly go for that.

GP: It's old now.

EVH: Yeah. The DiMarzio pickups have real big magnets that's how they get their power - so I took the DiMarzio pickup and put the P.A.F. magnet in it.

GP: So what pickup did you finally end up putting in it?

EVH: A DiMarzio with a P.A.F. magnet, wound with copper tape around the windings. Well, I dipped it in paraffin before I put the copper tape on.

Comment

he used this super D with alnico 5 in the black/yellow charvel and the ibanez destroyer

Comment

Hehe man I gotta try that...I think I have one of those lying around somewhere, and I have a loose AlnicoV too.
                  Thanks for the additional info

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                    Hehe man I gotta try that...I think I have one of those lying around somewhere, and I have a loose AlnicoV too.
                    Thanks for the additional info
                    yeah it is said that it is where he got the idea for the wolfs bridge pup.
                    super D wind with a alnico 5 magnet

Comment

Is it harder/easier to replace a magnet in a dimarzio than it is to do a duncan?

Comment

Hehe that would explain these doublecreams

Comment

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/
                          Is it harder/easier to replace a magnet in a dimarzio than it is to do a duncan?
                          same,the thing is and i hope you understand this,on a super D much like the duncan distortion it has that oversized ceramic magnet,which is the thickness of two regular alnico 5's if they were stacked on top of one another , so when you put a 5 in the place of the ceramic on a super d you have to insert something under the magnet to shim it snug.
                          I use a wood spacer and had great results

Comment

Maybe an Air SuperD is in order

Comment

a dimarzio SD does not have the same wind as a wolfgang?
                              geezzzuussss now I HAVE HEARD IT ALL!

Comment

Working...
                              X