No announcement yet.

help me dial-in a set of Antiquitys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me dial-in a set of Antiquitys...

Hi,

based on reviews and how people rave about them, I recently installed a set of SD Antiquity single coil pups - Texas Hot, RWRP and Custom Bridge in my MIJ Strat.

I have yet to play around with pickup height, and would appreciate your recommendations on what you have found to be the best height for this particular set, whether from pickguard to top of polepiece, or distance from polepiece to string.

I could start with standard pup height, but I'd love to hear what the resident experts have to say to shortcut the process.

Thanks in advance for any info and inputs!

Jaime G

Re: help me dial-in a set of Antiquitys...

I am sure ant s/c fans (my buddies) will show up and tell you what needs to be done in greater detail. But till then I think you can use the guide I find very helpful done by Peter Florance:

FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by vegetablejoe
      Hi,

based on reviews and how people rave about them, I recently installed a set of SD Antiquity single coil pups - Texas Hot, RWRP and Custom Bridge in my MIJ Strat.

I have yet to play around with pickup height, and would appreciate your recommendations on what you have found to be the best height for this particular set, whether from pickguard to top of polepiece, or distance from polepiece to string.

I could start with standard pup height, but I'd love to hear what the resident experts have to say to shortcut the process.

Thanks in advance for any info and inputs!

Jaime G
      Tomorrow when I return home from my 24 hour shift at my Fire Station,I'll measure all of my current heights for you.Mine sound great,love these pickups!

John
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

dr. barlo, thanks for the link. i've printed it out and will start with that recommendation.

stratdeluxer97, you seem to be the foremost exponent of this particular set of pups, so I'm very interested in your own settings.... looking forward to your post!

Can anyone from the SD company chime in and post related info on their own highly-regarded product on their own forum? Thanks!

Comment

dr. barlo, thanks for the link. i've printed it out and will start with that recommendation.

stratdeluxer97, you seem to be the foremost exponent of this particular set of pups, so I'm very interested in your own settings.... looking forward to your post!

Can anyone from the SD company chime in and post related info on their own highly-regarded product on their own forum? Thanks!
          Ok buddy here's my settings with my Texas Hots..I Normally will start out with around a 3/32" setting and I'll adjust for overall position balance and for across the string balance...I've been a strat player for a long time now and it is my own opinion that single coils sound better down a bit than they do too close...My feelings are that with the pickups down a bit,the pickup sees more

string vibration without choking notes from magnet pull...Others will not agree with me on this and it is just what works for me..

Measured with the 1st string and the 6th strings depressed at the highest frets and from the top of the poles to the bottom of the 1st and 6th strings...My final adjustments as I said,are done with me playing and listening to the overall...The measurements are not an issue at this point,but here's my measurements...

Neck...1st string 4/32 6th string 4/32

Middle 1st string Just a bit over 3/32 6th string 3.5/32

Bridge 1st string 3/32 6th string 3/32
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Bttt

Comment

Stratdeluxer97,

thanks for taking the time to measure your settings! I will definitely use those measurements as a starting point, as well as consider dr. barlo's tips. Can't wait til the weekend!

G.A.S. has hit me badly in the past few weeks, and, aside from the Antiquitys, I acquried a set of Texas Specials and an Essex ST57 Strat to put those in. Also got a local strat clone to put in a pair of Gibson humbuckers I took out of my old Epi LP Std. So I will also be looking up the proper pickup heights in a double fat strat!

So much tinkering to do and so little time...

Many thanks again!

Jaime G

Comment

Stratdeluxer97,

thanks for taking the time to measure your settings! I will definitely use those measurements as a starting point, as well as consider dr. barlo's tips. Can't wait til the weekend!

G.A.S. has hit me badly in the past few weeks, and, aside from the Antiquitys, I acquried a set of Texas Specials and an Essex ST57 Strat to put those in. Also got a local strat clone to put in a pair of Gibson humbuckers I took out of my old Epi LP Std. So I will also be looking up the proper pickup heights in a double fat strat!

So much tinkering to do and so little time...

Many thanks again!

Jaime G
                It was absolutely no problem...Enjoy the G.A.S. buddy,we only go around this block one time.Might as well enjoy ourselves.. I Love this dancing Pillsbury/Frosty guy...LOL

John

Comment

Working...
                X