banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are single coils alot cleaner than humbuckers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are single coils alot cleaner than humbuckers?

Do single coils sound better with light overdrive, or when your amp is just about to break up in to overdrive? Do they also sound cleaner in the neck and bridge position than most humbuckers? Can you use like the bridge position on a tele or strat for med to high gain rock stuff or can you only get that sound out of humbuckers.
    PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
    1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
    Blackstar HT-5
    2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
    Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Re: Are single coils alot cleaner than humbuckers?

Play some and find out!
    Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
    Originally posted by Sosomething
    "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

I think it's just a matter of preference... for example, I love the stratty breaking up blues tone as demonstrated in songs like Blues Deluxe as done by Joe Bonamassa, but for MY playing, I better like the 'bark' that a humbucker puts out when in that 'pushed' range of the amp. I also like the wider, fatter tone of a neck bucker for cleans.

Comment

it depends a lot on the single and humbuker you're comparing. I use P-90's, tele pickups, strat pickups, and humbuckers for all of the styles you listed, though I am partial to the humbuckers for a high gain, almost liquid sounding lead tone.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

There aren't any "rules" for tone, i.e. you don't HAVE to have EMGs and Mesas to play metal, you don't HAVE to play old Fender everything to play surf, et cetera.

Saying you need a humbucker for a heavy tone is kind of true but at the same time not really. In a general sense, a bridge Strat single coil is gonna sound distorted if you put distortion on it, just maybe not as "metal" as, say, a Duncan Distortion.

Single-coils are better suited for clean tones because they're often weaker yet chimier and clearer, nullifying distortion. They still distort (anything will with the right amp and effects) but probably not as much as a humbucker.

There's people on the forum who could explain this stuff a lot more in depth but I dunno if they want to, maybe somebody can link you to a site with more information?
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

It's all about the mids.:-D

Comment

Let's answer the actual questions....Yes a vintage style single coil is cleaner,toppier sounding,and more articulate than a humbucker...The humbucker gives up some highend and note articulation for it's non-humming tones...

I think the single coils biggest weakness after hum,is the thin,bright bridge tone,but a single coil can rock as good as a low output PAF style humbucker providing you can adjust your amp and effects right....

John
              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
              X