rio BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rio BBQ

what can you tell me about the rio BBQ alnicoV? 12+k? how about tone is it balanced? middy? any info would be helpful what is the closest SD to it for a tone reference . thanks scott
    Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
    Suhr OD-50
    Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Re: rio BBQ

There is no SD that's really close to the BBQ. It is alnico 5, measures 12.76k, and it has a nice bass and midrange response, with softer highs.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

All i can say is do a search for it, cause there are lots of threads describing what the BB! sounds like eq etc. My definition of it would be a warmer JB. Or in other words a jb with less highs that are smoother and slighlty more mids and bass to give it a warmer sound. Good if you have a bright bridge position.
      A classic example would be the latest record from the ataris.
      PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
      1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
      Blackstar HT-5
      2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
      Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

thanks guys !!!!!!!!!!!!
        Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
        Suhr OD-50
        Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

I have just replaced a JB with a BBQ, best thing I ever done.
          The BBQ is really a warmer version of the JB, and it is still pretty powerfull.
          I am on the lookout for a Texas neck to replace my Jazz, should be a match made in heaven.
          Scottish, born and bred.

Comment

Aah.. the BBQ is another very fine pickup. Think of it as a JB with more balls! And with a slight touch of Texas sizzle to cut thru the mix.
            Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

The BBQ/Texas is an amazing pickup set. very, very fat, thick, rich, smooth, powerful (odd because it is only 12.7 k), lots of sizzle, rich harmonics, sizzle, warmth, and versatile. It really allows the guitar to speak for itself as it sounded much brighter in my LP with 500k pots and much darker in my Dean Evo. great p'up.

Any of you guys use the BBQ covered? I have only used the open coil version and I hear the covered can be too dark.

I don't know if I can say that the Air Zone is fatter than the BBQ. I like the BBQ much more.

Any of you BBQ guys ever play a PRS Draggon II pickup?? I hear it is as fat as the BBQ but brighter.
              Last edited by papersoul; 09-09-2004, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
                The BBQ/Texas is an amazing pickup set. very, very fat, thick, rich, smooth, powerful (odd because it is only 12.7 k), lots of sizzle, rich harmonics, sizzle, warmth, and versatile. It really allows the guitar to speak for itself as it sounded much brighter in my LP with 500k pots and much darker in my Dean Evo. great p'up.

Any of you guys use the BBQ covered? I have only used the open coil version and I hear the covered can be too dark.
                All I can tell you is that this particular set really did wonders in my SG I had last year. I think its the perfect blend of power and EQ-shape for a SG. BTW, they were covered, and not that dark (but yes, a tad darker than other pickups... ), but be warned! I do think these pickups are better suited to heavy Texas-style OD and some high-gain. Not for sweet blues!

I was playing in a Sabbath tribute project at the time... man, and that was powerful!!!
                Last edited by Thames; 09-09-2004, 08:54 AM.
                Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Thames, I had them in my LP Standard with 500k pots and they were anything but dark...they seemed balanced and tight. I was getting great clean to classic rock to heavy modern rock! great pickups. I didn't notice any mud. Best pickup I have heard in an LP along with the Duncan C-5.

I actually think they do blues well and split nicely! I hope to get a splittable set in my McCarty!

Hopefully I'll have a Strat in another year or so and that will be the blues machine.

Comment

how did those compare to the prs dragon IIs? i heard someone on here compare them to the bbq but brighter? From the demo on prs site they seemed very muddy.

Comment

Originally posted by StrykeBack
                      how did those compare to the prs dragon IIs? i heard someone on here compare them to the bbq but brighter? From the demo on prs site they seemed very muddy.
                      What sounds muddy on the PRS site? They sound fine. I couldn't really judge a pickup as being muddy unless they played some chords in the demo.

Comment

Originally posted by StrykeBack
                        I have D2s in a couple of PRS guitars while I used to have Rios in my Driskill (since replaced with EVHs)

In my opinion and experience, both pickups have significant mid humps but peak differently. I've heard the term "sizzle" used and I couldn't think of a better word to describe the tone of both the BBQ and the Genuine TX. Though they sound way fat when distorted, I found the clean tones disappointing. IMO the D2 has better clarity than the BBQ, clean or distorted. It has more low-end, too.

My $0.02, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                        My Music

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee
                          I have D2s in a couple of PRS guitars while I used to have Rios in my Driskill (since replaced with EVHs)

In my opinion and experience, both pickups have significant mid humps but peak differently. I've heard the term "sizzle" used and I couldn't think of a better word to describe the tone of both the BBQ and the Genuine TX. Though they sound way fat when distorted, I found the clean tones disappointing. IMO the D2 has better clarity than the BBQ, clean or distorted. It has more low-end, too.

My $0.02, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
                          The DII is killer no doubt and hope to get those in my McCarty some day. I wonder how they would do in a Les Paul? Hmm

Comment

the DIIs look nice too with the covers as well. perhaps I'l look into those with my SZ

Comment

Working...
                            X