four pickup lead question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• four pickup lead question

i don't mind mind the stock neck pickup in my schecter at all... but it's 2 lead and I got coil split fever again. what would be entailed in converting a 2 lead pickup into 4 lead? is it possible? i've never taken a pickup apart before, where would the other 2 leads go? Any diagrams?

stop me before I get in over my head. Anyways, apparently a rhythm pickup was accidentally installed in bridge position in my schecter, (where my duncan distortion now is) so I have an extra rhythm pickup to f*** around with in case I mess up once.
    thanks,
    dan

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Re: four pickup lead question

If all you want to do is a coil split, you only need to attach one extra wire. Use this image as a reference:

When you remove the tape from the pickup, you'll see something like this.

Important: This pickup was pre-disassembled. Yours won't look exactly like this.

You'll have two wires that connect to the pickups output cable, (the red arrows), and two more connected together, (the green arrows). What you want to do, is carefully remove the tape from the two that are together, and solder a third lead to this junction. You'll end up with a total of three wires soldered together. Bring this wire to the outside, and re-apply all the tape that you removed.

That new third wire is your "tap". You can connect it to either hot, or ground, depending on whether you want the stud coil or adjustable coil to be active.

As an alternative, PM me for my address, and you can ship it to me, and I'll do it for you - for free.

Comment

wow... thanks! I might take you up on your offer, but first I'll decide if I'm going to bite the bullet and take a stab myself... I have 2 neck pickups, so I'll send you the second if I decimate the first
      thanks again,
      dan

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

Just be real careful, and make sure you have a quality soldering iron for this kind of job. Don't get the iron too close to those coils.

Good luck.

I'll keep an eye out for your PM.

Comment

Working...
        X