Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best pickup for me?

Hi,
    I want a pickup that gets great lead sounds, I like John Frusciante (Red Hot Chili Peppers) and the solo played by Jimmy Page in stairway to heaven,
    and as one of these is normally a single coil and the other is not, do Seymour Duncan make humbuckers that can be converted to single coil (I think they're called split coil or something like that)?

Thanks.

Re: Best pickup for me?

well frusciante uses single coils and the stairway to heaven solo was actually recorded with a telecaster so maybe you want a single coil? You can get a humbucker and split it but as those players use the neck position, a split bucker would be too weak. If you want single coil like tone from a humbucker you would want and aph2 in the neck.Its really sweet sounding and smooth like a single coil but it is still a humbucker. By the way, welcome to the forum!

Comment

Originally posted by ledzepp29
      well frusciante uses single coils and the stairway to heaven solo was actually recorded with a telecaster so maybe you want a single coil?
      Wow, I thought he recorded that on his LP #1.
      Do you know exactly what pickups were on that telecaster?

Thanks.

Comment

I really couldn't tell you as I'm a les paul player as well and don't know much about single coils. But ya, alot of people think that it is his paul but its actually his tele, thats all he used on the first album and then he used it sparingly for the other albums

Comment

and the pickups on the tele were stock and that tele was from the 50's I think, so there you go. If you want to go for Page's les paul neck pickup tone then just about any low output vintage style bucker would cut it.

Comment

So how about the Fender Classic Series 50's Telecaster?

Comment

If I were you I would get the telecaster that I liked and then put some duncan antiquity tele pickups, if there is such a thing. Duncans vintage pickups are gonna be much closer than fenders

Comment

i love the antiquity series, right on target. But a heads up, the 60's series uses alnico V's and the 50's series uses alnico II's i think. V's are brighter and snappier, but warm nonetheless, II's are super sweet sounding. Someone correct me if im wrong.
                2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Working...
                X