Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musicman 70's sound ?

Hey Guys !
    I'm planning to buy The MusicMan replacement pickups to upgrade my OLP 5 strings. I've been getting a lot of confused information regarding which of the Pikups and/or systems make what they call the "Stingray 70's sound." What configuration exactly would make this sound ? I mean, is the Alnico or Ceramic pickup ? With the Tone Circuit or not ? ( I know that it should be wired in parallel (cause I read here on the Forums !)
    I'm not sure if I really want this 70's sound... If I want a more modern, punchy rock sound, what should I get ? SMB5A , SMB5S ? With tone circuit or not ?
    My OLP has 3 knobs only, so I would need a Tone circuit that could fit, right ?
    Please, help if you can !

Re: Musicman 70's sound ?

Okay.......to get the 'modern' Stingray sound you will want the SMB-5D. That is the ceramic magnet version. It is a bit hotter and punchier--a little more aggressive sounding. The SMB-5A, which is the alnico version, sounds more like the old-school 1970's Stingray tone. It has more of that 70's 'growl'. Both will work fine without a preamp, but we do recommend using the accompanying preamp---you just get more overall control of your tone that way. If you only have three knobs, then you will need the STC-3M3 (which is the 3-knob version). You will need to purchase the PU and preamp separately because we don't offer a set that includes the 5-string PU with the 3-knob preamp.
    Scott Miller
    New Products/Technical Guy/Something Something
    Seymour Duncan

Comment

Thanks Scott ! That was very helpful !
      Just a couple more questions..
      This preamp comes with the Slap switch ? Is the Bass &Treble control stacked ?
      Is it easy to set everything up ? I live in Brazil, and I can't take the risk of ordering and then not being able to use it !
      Thanks a lot again !

Comment

Yes---it comes with a master volume(which is also the slap switch), a midrange control, and a stacked bass/treble control. The pots are all prewired, so it is a relatively easy install. If you need help with the wiring just let me know, and I'll send you a diagram.

[email protected]
        Scott Miller
        New Products/Technical Guy/Something Something
        Seymour Duncan

Comment

Working...
        X