Need Help with pickup selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with pickup selection

Hi all, this is my first post here. I am in some need of some help. I have a 93 Jackson Soloist SL. I currently have a Screamin Demon in the bridge. But I want to change out all my pickups. Since I have a single single double design, I was wondering if anyone has a good suggestions of the pickups I could use.

Currently, I like metal music the most. But I really enjoy John Petrucci type sound also, so its been really difficult. I really don't like the Demon in the bridge, it just does not seem hot enough to me. I was looking at the following set to put into my Jackson.

Neck Single - Hot Rail
    Mid Single - Cool Rail or Jb Jr.
    Humbucker - Duncan Distortion.

This give me a much hotter sound.

Even though I know this is a Duncan forum, I am also looking at some DiMarzio Pickups as follows

Neck Single - Pro Track
    Mid Single - Fast Track 1
    Humbucker - Steve's Special, or Super Distortion.

I guess I want to replace the 2 single stock pickups and the demon out for a all around hotter combo set.

What do you folks think?

Thanks

Re: Need Help with pickup selection

Welcome to the forum. I like your first choice except that I would do cool rails in both the middle and neck. The hot rails is just too much for me in the neck. I prefer it better in the bridge of a strat. The cool rails are a bit more mellow but still have plenty of punch and clean up better in my opinion. The distortion in the bridge will definitely give you the metal tones that you are looking for. Personally, I prefer it over the super distortion which, by the way, I had in a strat and replaced with a demon. However, I put in 250K pots which gave the demon a bit more punch. You may want to try that first before you swap pickups. If you really want a hot bridge pickup consider the dimebucker as well.

Comment

Re: Need Help with pickup selection

well for that JP tone, the Steve Special would really be the choice for the bridge.
      pretty hot pup and works well with cool rails.
      as for the neck maybe a hs-2 would do. hmmmmm
      1987 Ibanez RG550: Steve Special, SSL-2, Air Norton
      1999 Jackson PS6T-KE: Crazy 8
      Jackson KVX10: X2N
      1997 Epi Les Paul Slash: Virtual PAF, Hum From Hell
      Early 90's Yamaha RGZ621D: JB, Screamin' Demon
      http://fusionken.blogspot.com
      http://project-jeng.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
      X