EMG 81 vs. JB/59

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EMG 81 vs. JB/59

Since no one else has mentioned it, I'll just remind you that you are comparing a guitar that runs on batteries, to one that doesn't.

That alone would sway me to the Duncans. YMMV.

Comment

I'd say go for the Duncan set instead of the EMGs. The Duncans will tend to be more versatile if you do decide to sway away from metal in the future. That being said, some of the best rock/metal tones were recorded on Duncan pickups. For example Megadeth's Dave Mustaine used JBs in his siganture Jacksons.

If you ask me, there is a lot of hype nowadays about EMG pickups, but that's exactly what it is, just hype. A lot of nu-metal guitarists who have been playing for a few years favour these EMGs cos they make playing more effortless through a cranked-out Mesa due to the high output nature of the pickup.

Real players use Duncans!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent
        If you ask me, there is a lot of hype nowadays about EMG pickups, but that's exactly what it is, just hype. A lot of nu-metal guitarists who have been playing for a few years favour these EMGs cos they make playing more effortless through a cranked-out Mesa due to the high output nature of the pickup.

Have you ever even used EMG's?

Active pickups accentuate every little mistake you make. They actually make playing alot harder because you can't be anywhere near as sloppy without them picking up your mistakes and making them scream through the amp for all to hear.

Good to know you're not talking out your ass.....
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Just wanting to know if anybody has used Symour Duncans Active Pickups like the Metal Humbucker, Bridge. I was wondering because I do not hear them mentioned much.
          Dealer for: Seymour Duncan, Tonepro, Allparts, Tech-21, Moses Graphite, CBI Cables, Mallory, Orange Drop & Hovland Capacitors, Hipshot & WD Products.

www.blackrosecustom.emerchantpro.com

Comment

:fing25: Of course I've used EMG's before. I don't like them, its just a matter of personal taste. Yes, and I do know that higher output pickups, especially actives, tend to be unforgiving in nature when it comes to sloppy playing. I've played through Dimarzio Evolutions before and they're the same thing - unforgiving as hell.

Ok, so I don't like EMGs; they're marketed towards the nu-metal crowd, which also doesn't catch my fancy. So what? Take that B.S banner you raised and shove it. :fing25: :fing25: :fing25:

Comment

Ok, so I don't like EMGs; they're marketed towards the nu-metal crowd, which also doesn't catch my fancy. So what? Take that B.S banner you raised and shove it. :fing25: :fing25: :fing25:
              Because we all know that Slayer, Metallica, The Dixie Chicks, Shania Twain, Pantara, Primus, Steve Lukather, and Zakk Wilde are Nu-Metal.....

....Just to name a few....

If you don't like them, that's fine, but the part about Nu-Metal guys choosing them because they make playing more effortless through a cranked-out Mesa is bull****. You even said so yourself;

Yes, and I do know that higher output pickups, especially actives, tend to be unforgiving in nature when it comes to sloppy playing.
              So my flag stands.

Comment

I don't recall ever saying that "ALL EMG users are nu-metal players". You seem to have a problem reading simple English. If I said "ALL EMG users nu-metal-ers" then by all means raise that BS flag... I'll even put one outside my house. Hell.. I'll trash my Les Paul and never pick another guitar up again ever. But I didn't.

Look, high output pickups = soloing is more effortless BUT also greater propensity for picking up mistakes. (I do hope you know what propensity means). Is there something wrong with that statement?

Just because you're a Super Toneologist, you worship EMGs and you think Zakk Wylde is the beez neez doesn't mean that EMGs are necessarily better than other pickups out there.

Don't forget that for every 1 EMG user out there, there are probably 2 if not more Seymour Duncan users who will swear by their gear. I just don't like EMGs that's all - and I told the guy who was obiviously looking for an opinion that I thought that the JB/59 combo is more versatile.

If you really understood tone, then you'd realize by now that tone is very subjective (with a few exceptions) and 'one man's meat is another man's poison, so to speak.'

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I didnīt intend this post to be a battleground between EMG fans and SD fans. I just wanted an opinion from people who know far more about tone, pickups and guitars than I do. Man, I just want to rock and have the best sound for me!

Again, thanks everyone. BTW, I think Iīm going Duncans.

Comment

I don't recall ever saying that "ALL EMG users are nu-metal players". You seem to have a problem reading simple English. If I said "ALL EMG users nu-metal-ers" then by all means raise that BS flag... I'll even put one outside my house. Hell.. I'll trash my Les Paul and never pick another guitar up again ever. But I didn't.
                    At which point did I imply you said, "ALL EMG users are nu-metal players"?

You said, "they're marketed towards the nu-metal crowd", and I disagree.

Please don't put words into my mouth.

Look, high output pickups = soloing is more effortless BUT also greater propensity for picking up mistakes. (I do hope you know what propensity means). Is there something wrong with that statement?
                    No, I said it myself, did I not?

Just because you're a Super Toneologist, you worship EMGs and you think Zakk Wylde is the beez neez doesn't mean that EMGs are necessarily better than other pickups out there.
                    I don't get a choice in what the title below my name is, so Super Toneologist is meaningless.

I don't worship EMGs. My other two guitars have Duncans and DiMarzios in them.

There are other users of EMG's than Zakk Wylde.

Don't forget that for every 1 EMG user out there, there are probably 2 if not more Seymour Duncan users who will swear by their gear. I just don't like EMGs that's all - and I told the guy who was obiviously looking for an opinion that I thought that the JB/59 combo is more versatile.
                    I'm not debating that, and had you simply stated your opinion of dislike, I would have left you alone.

I'm debating the fact that you were attempting to mislead someone by referencing a piece of gear with a musical trend that came long after EMG's became popular among metal players, and will still be around long after that trend is dead and gone.

Following your logic, we shouldn't buy Duncans either, since Duncans are also well liked amongst the nu-metal crowd.

...Oh yeah, Korn uses PAFs, so chuck them while your at it.....

....Better not use Pearly Gates as System of a Down uses them.....

....starting to see how idiotic your nu-metal reference was?

If you really understood tone, then you'd realize by now that tone is very subjective (with a few exceptions) and 'one man's meat is another man's poison, so to speak.'
                    Tone is subjective, and goes far beyond current styles and trends. I don't claim to understand tone, but at least I'm not trying to pigeon hole it into narrow minded, arbitrarily decided genres.

Comment

Working...
                    X