No announcement yet.

I'm sure you know what I'm gonna ask...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sure you know what I'm gonna ask...

Okay, here it comes...

WHAT P-UPS SHOULD I PICK FOR MY GUITAR?????

I'll try to resume my sound...

I want a good P-UP set that can handle cleans and mid-to-high distortion, for playing mainly hard rock & metal. My distorted sound should be a blend between hi-gain distortion and gritty rock O/D, so there is some compression mixed with some mid-crunch. I checked som samples, but I think that direct experience from other people would help more.

I'm using the JH-1 for rock stuff (BTW, get the Guv'nor... the JH's "dist" channel is rather crappy, but the O/D KICKS ASS!!! Almost real Marshall crunch!), but I think I'll get myself a metal distortion pedal sooner or later. What do you think I should buy to compliment my tone?

Note: I'm a bit of a "budget" player, so keep it easy!

BTW, thanks to anybody that replies!!!

Re: I'm sure you know what I'm gonna ask...

welcome to the fourm!!

what kind of guitar do you have??

Comment

Thanks, pal! Les Paul budget copy, but it comes to be that it sounds quite good. Some guy told me that it's as good as an Epi... (I couldn't tell... believe it or not, THERE ARE NO EPIS NOR GIBSONS HERE IN CHILE!!!)

I can't tell too much about the guitar itself. No info on the Internet, but some reviews. Seems it's a discontinued one. I have seen only another one like mine (on some TV comercials... I think it could be the same guitar for all of them. Don't realy know).

The body is VERY heavy (hey, it's a Les Paul), but got no idea of what wood it's made of (if anybody could tell me more about the Hohner RP250, please do!!!). It's got the typical Les Paul tone, but a bit moody in the neck, just great for classic rock stuff and just good for hard rock. The problem is, it doesn't cut it so well on metal. That's why I'm looking for new pickups and maybe a new distortion pedal.

I'm kinda rookie on modding guitar stuff, so PLEASE HELP ME!

Comment

I always thought the DDb and Jazz neck was a good combo for metal. I think Randy used them in one of his axes.

Comment

Jeff Beck for the bridge, maybe a Phat Cat or a 59 for the neck.
          www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

I have a duncan distortion bridge and a jazz combo in my guitar. I think it's amazing. However this guitar is tuned to Drop C and never goes clean when using my bridge pickup. If I wanna go clean, I switch to the jazz pickup when channel switching.

The JB is a great pickup for all styles. It wont limit you to any genre of music (it'll do excellent cleans as well as distort beautifully). You're best bet is to grab a Metal Zone (or if you've got extra cash, pickup a keeley modded one) and let the metal tone come from that pedal. The JB will do it's job and the metal zone will do it's job. However, if you dont need to worry about cleans in the bridge position, go with a duncan distortion.

Whatever you choose, I'd go with a Jazz neck.

Next-Generation Guitar Pedal Effects, Designed and Built in the USA
            7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

For grit, crunch and the ability to still clean up decently in the bridge, sounds like the Custom will work well, expecially if the guitar is a little dark.

Neck pickup, the APH is my first choice, think Slash's tone on September Rain, Knockin on Heavens Door, Sweet Child O' Mine. If you want a little brighter and glassier, the Jazz would probably do well.
              My Sound Clips

Comment

Thanks a lot guys! Think I'll acutally get the APH for the neck. Slash is my favourite player (I bought my guitar thinking about his), so that's a goooood thing! For the bridge, it seems that the JB or the Custom are the best choices.

Comment

+1 for JB. The JB has better cleans.
                  Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 09-12-2004, 07:06 AM.
                  Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
                  Roland Cube 60
                  Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
                  BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
                  LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
                  Mogami Cables
                  Mooer Candy Toppers
                  Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
                  Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

I was looking @ guitarelectronics.com (artie's right: their graphs are cool!), and realized the output difference between the APH and the bridge pickups... Won't that be a bit of a problem? Any way to balance that?

Comment

while there is a fairly decent output differnce........it will not be TOO much...... you can raise and lower either pickup to set the balance correctly...... and many people have had JB or Custom bridge pickups paired up with vintage "low" output humbuckers in the neck position and everything is fine......... in fact, those combos of medium-high output bridge pickups and low output neck pickups are the favs around here

id go JB/APH or JB/jazz
                      http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
                      >cord<
                      1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Think I've made my mind: JB/APH neck shall it be!

Thanks to all of you!

Comment

Working...
                        X