banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please Help With Wiring!!! Lots of Pics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help With Wiring!!! Lots of Pics...

Hi

I'm trying to wire an Epiphone Les Paul, but I've never been able to do it without having an annoying hum. So I'm gonna start from scratch and take pics along the way so you can see where I'm going wrong.

Two humbuckers... 3 way switch. Two vols, two tones. I want the volumes to control seperate pickups (no master vol). same with the tone controls. It's just standard LP wiring.

Here are the parts I have and I've given each wire or part a number or letter, for ease in referring to them.

First, we have the pickups. They're two humbuckers with 2 conductor type wiring. A and B is from the neck pickup, C and D is from the bridge pickup.

Next, the output jack. I tried to take the pic so you could see what each wire is connected to.

The wire from the bridge (I presume). It comes through a hole in the cavity and there's only one wire. sorry the pic is a bit blurry.

Presenting...the switch.

So you can see what is connected to what:

And now the 4 happy little pots. I've labelled them, and placed them in the way they would go in the cavity, but note that they would be flipped the other way round to go in the cavity.... So when they're in 'a' looks like 'c', etc... (did that make sense?)

And finally, the capacitors. I hope to use these as they were stock, but the legs are very short so I might have to use other ones.

OK, now please tell me what my next step is, and if there is anything bizarre or weird at this stage already. Don't forget to refer to the different parts through their allocated symbol so that there's no confusion. Thanks!
    Last edited by darkshadow54321; 09-11-2004, 05:22 PM.
    There's nothing quite as satisfying as a dancing banana...

Re: Please Help With Wiring!!! Lots of Pics...

if you don't know why there's only one wire from the bridge, better take it to a tech.but if you really want to do it yourself, there are lots of diagrams on the net.and be sure you have the right tools
    Last edited by bryvincent; 09-11-2004, 06:17 PM.
    2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

If no one else covers this, I will tomorrow . . .

. . . right after I finish Chi3f's diagram.

Comment

Bumpioli

Comment

See if this helps. And I assume your pictures to be numbered from the top down: 1, 2, 3, etc.
          So, wire 4J would be designation "j" in the 4th image down.

As long as you connect the caps to those two terminals, it doesn't matter which end you use.

If this confuses more than helps, we can do it differently.

Artie

(Now . . . back to work on Chi3f's.)
          Last edited by ArtieToo; 09-12-2004, 06:46 AM.

Comment

WOW!!! That's so great of you! Thanks a lot!

Got a couple questions though...lol.

In the diagram, you don't say what to do with one wire. It's wire k from the selector switch (fig 4)... What do I do with it??? In the diagram you only mentioned 3 wires, instead of 4.

Also, how do I ground the pots? Do all the grounds go to one pot? Do I need to solder a wire from the lug to the back of the pot, and then to the grounding pot, or simply straight from the lug to the grounding pot? Do I connect all the pots together through grounding, or is each pot connected simply to the grounding pot?

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks. "K" is just a ground wire, so it, and everything that has the little "ground" symbol, ends up at the point labeled "2F".

You can also connect the back of all the pots to this same point. Basically, you want all the grounds to end up at 2F. Most folks, and guitar companies, use the back of the pots also. You just have to be careful soldering there, so you don't apply too much heat.

Comment

Here ya go. Worse or better?

Comment

Artie, you rock
                  Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

ARTIE I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

In a purely heterosexual way of course....

I'll give this is a try and see how it goes!!!!

YOU ROCK!!!!!!! I owe you one.

Comment

Working...
                    X