the bridge sounds like sh*t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the bridge sounds like sh*t

i just changed the pickups from my epiphone sg i installed a sd 59 at the neck , sounds good , but the problem is that i installed a dimarzio distortion on the bridge and i dont know what i did wrong it sounds like **** i did exaclty how the instructions said , i dont know whats wrong .
    im supposed to use the volume and tone from the bridge for the bridge right ? because the stock ones i think where connected to the neck pots that what i believe , look i soldered black and white together and isolated with tape (what kind of tape?) the green and bare toguether in the back of a pot (ground) but wich pot should be exactly?????)and the red one to the volume , but int he diagram says in the third liltle thing on the volume then from there to the firts one on the tone , from the bridge pots right?? or should i use the neck ones ?? im so pissed man please help me , i tried different things but none worked i feel like smashing this guitar to the floor even the other guitar that i own with duncan design sounds better !!
    Schecter C1 silver top, cream body binding , black hardware, loaded with EMG 81/81
    Epi Les paul honeyburst, loaded with Seymour Duncan DD (b) 59 (n)
    Ibanez Iceman ic300 , Stock pickups
    Yamaha Pacifica , stock
    epiphone acoustic
    marshall combo
    cry baby wah
    monster cables

Re: the bridge sounds like sh*t

Uhhh, it is a DiMarzio Hmm.....whats the matter with it? too thin? Try a Custom.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
      Uhhh, it is a DiMarzio Hmm.....whats the matter with it? too thin? Try a Custom.

Sounds like it's not wired right...first off.

And there's no way a Custom is thicker than a Super Distortion. It's not even EQ'd that way.

The two wires you soldered together, you can just use electrical tape to tape them off.

The green and bare that go to ground, there should be at least one pot with stuff soldered to the top of it, that's for grounding....solder them both to that.

The red wire that is left is the "hot" wire. Where did the hot wire come off of when you took out the original bridge pickup....it's good to note this stuff and I've really never needed wiring diagrams because of it.

Comment

no dude the thing is that i dunno how to connect it , i connected like the diagram but it doesnt sound good sounds like **** , i want some help somebody that knows how to do it right and explain me , also does it matter the old solder soldered to the back of the pots or do i have to take it off , i dont know why is not sounding right!
        Schecter C1 silver top, cream body binding , black hardware, loaded with EMG 81/81
        Yamaha Pacifica , stock
        epiphone acoustic
        marshall combo
        cry baby wah
        monster cables

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli
          Sounds like it's not wired right...first off.

And there's no way a Custom is thicker than a Super Distortion. It's not even EQ'd that way.

The two wires you soldered together, you can just use electrical tape to tape them off.

The green and bare that go to ground, there should be at least one pot with stuff soldered to the top of it, that's for grounding....solder them both to that.

The red wire that is left is the "hot" wire. Where did the hot wire come off of when you took out the original bridge pickup....it's good to note this stuff and I've really never needed wiring diagrams because of it.

the thing is that the original was a 2 conductor and they were just a black and a white i dont know wich one is the hot?
          Yamaha Pacifica , stock
          epiphone acoustic
          marshall combo
          cry baby wah
          monster cables

Comment

Originally posted by rombola
            the thing is that the original was a 2 conductor and they were just a black and a white i dont know wich one is the hot?

The one that wasn't going to ground is hot....

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli
              The one that wasn't going to ground is hot....

oh ok , so i just solder the red one to the place where the stock one was soldered right? do i have to clean the little thing on the pot or i just solder it ?

dude but i dont remember , but i think thats what i did and it didnt worked !

if i connect it right and doesnt sound right what el se can be man ??

thank you for your answers
              Yamaha Pacifica , stock
              epiphone acoustic
              marshall combo
              cry baby wah
              monster cables

Comment

If you have a Dimarzio Super Distortion the black is the hot and the white is the ground. Unless Super Distortions are now 4 conductor (I thought the 4 conductor version of the Super Distortion was the Dual Sound???), then the red would be hot and green ground

Comment

no dude the thing is that i dunno how to connect it , i connected like the diagram but it doesnt sound good sounds like **** , i want some help somebody that knows how to do it right and explain me , also does it matter the old solder soldered to the back of the pots or do i have to take it off , i dont know why is not sounding right!

TWO THINGS

1. What does it sound like?

2. Do you realize that Dimarzio uses a different colour code for their wires than Seymour Duncan does?

3. Do you realize that the superdistortion doesn't sound good clean, it's meant for overdriven tones?

Comment

Im sure the guy knows its not supposed to sound pristine clean, I think he wired it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by theboatcandream
                      TWO THINGS

1. What does it sound like?

2. Do you realize that Dimarzio uses a different colour code for their wires than Seymour Duncan does?

3. Do you realize that the superdistortion doesn't sound good clean, it's meant for overdriven tones?

first it sounds ugly , uglier than the stock one , it sounds distorted but real ugly

then i know that about the different colors

and i know that superdistortions are not supposed to sound good clean dude , what do u think i am?
                      Yamaha Pacifica , stock
                      epiphone acoustic
                      marshall combo
                      cry baby wah
                      monster cables

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1
                        If you have a Dimarzio Super Distortion the black is the hot and the white is the ground. Unless Super Distortions are now 4 conductor (I thought the 4 conductor version of the Super Distortion was the Dual Sound???), then the red would be hot and green ground

yes dude the newer versions are 4 conductor
                        Yamaha Pacifica , stock
                        epiphone acoustic
                        marshall combo
                        cry baby wah
                        monster cables

Comment

Solder or tape the black and white wires together.

Solder the Red to the lug on the volume pot.

Solder the green to the back of the pot (ground).

Test the pickup before you restring your guitar by putting an electonic metronome upto it and listening for the beeps though your amp. If you don't have a metronome, there's other tricks (get your cellphone to beep), but I can't remember many of them.
                          Last edited by some_dude; 09-12-2004, 11:35 AM.
                          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
                            Solder or tape the black and white wires together.

Solder the Red to the lug on the volume pot.

Solder the green to the back of the pot (ground).

the green to the back of any pot? and what about the bare ??
                            also the red one, what is a the lug ? the 3 little things where u can solder ? on which of the 3 do i solder the red?
                            Yamaha Pacifica , stock
                            epiphone acoustic
                            marshall combo
                            cry baby wah
                            monster cables

Comment

the green to the back of any pot? and what about the bare ??
                              also the red one, what is a the lug ? the 3 little things where u can solder ? on which of the 3 do i solder the red?

There should be a pot that already had a bunch of wires soldered to the back of it. Use that one.

A lug is one of those three things on the side of a pot. One of the three lugs should be attached to the back of the pot. Usually it's bent up and soldered, but there could be a short wire attaching it. The other two lugs are the volume lugs. Solder it to the one that the original pickup was soldered to. If you're unsure, look at the one your neck pickup is wired to, and make the bridge look the same.

The bare is a shield wire. Solder it to the same spot you solder the green one.

You don't need to remove the original solder, although it won't be as pretty looking, it'll work fine.
                              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Working...
                              X