Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan C-5/59!

Hi guys,

I think I am going to end up going with the C-5/59 in both my LP and McCarty. I talked to a lot of PRS/LP guys on the Duncan board and almost all after trying numerous pickups settled on this set as the biggest, boldest, richest, and most natural. I did have it in my LP and loved it so it might be the way to go.

I thought about the Dragon IIs, but I figured it would be nice to go with something that worked for me in the past and has worked wonders for others.

My small fear is that the two guitars could sound similar but I guess that is unrealistic since they don't sound alike a is..........the LP will always have a different tone.

At one time I had the Rio grande BBQ/Texas set in 3-4 guitars and none of them sounded alike.

The thing I really like about this set is it seems to allow the guitar to come through rather than dominate, especially with midrange. Plus, they work for clean, mid gain, and high gain as Gearjoneser has said. Versatility is key here in that it does classic rock and modern hard rock equally well.

Anyone else a C-5/59 fan?
    Last edited by papersoul; 09-13-2004, 02:27 PM.

Re: Duncan C-5/59!

My first set of Duncans was the C5/59 combo in my Predator, as a result of recommendations from this board. Slowly, I acquired other Duncan pups to try out and listen to.

As you can see by my sig, I finally came back to the C5/59 . . . and they're staying.

I love 'em. Definitely, my most used guitar.

Comment

I have the c5 59 combo in my schecter and like it alot. I wish the 59 was a little hotter or equivelant in gain to the c5 but oh well. I am thinking of putting them in my les paul studio but am wondering if it will be too dark as the studio is way darker than any of my friends les paul standards and deluxes.
      My bands links:

PEDL
      www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
      www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
      www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
        Anyone else a C-5/59 fan?
        Yes I really like that combo in a Les Paul. I have had it in a tele too. They do sound a bit different but similar.
        My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Hi Rich, Well you already know what I ended up putting back in my McCarty! 2 days of playing the C5/59N and I am still liking what I hear. The C5 is definitely the Fullest sounding pup I have tried.

Comment

So the C-5 is more full than the D IIs? You were loving the D IIs with the extra mids for a while there.

Comment

I know I always rave about the C-5/59 combo, but I've taken Les Paul tone down to an exact science with Duncans. After using Gibson, Fralin, and every model of Duncan from the 59, JB, Antiquity, to the Customs, I finally landed on the Custom Custom Custom, which I put in my Goldtop.
              Still curious about the other Customs, I tried a CC, Custom, C-4, and in one week, I'll even try a C-3. Star Wars style tonesearching.
              This was when the Custom Custom Custom was about ready to be issued and renamed the Custom 5.

Notice, all the Custom Custom Custom harmony reviews were great, since they were players searching for a C-5 Custom. Also notice, the reviews of the C-5 were hit or miss, mostly because the newbies didn't appreciate a clear sounding humbucker...maybe the C-5 sounded too vintage??

Now, after running my LP's and McCarties through a lot of good amps, I can hear that the C-5 just has more of everything I like than the Custom, JB, CC, C-4, and Seths or Ants. Not to say the C-5 is the best, because all those others are great pickups too, but the C-5 just hits the nail on the head for bridge humbucker tone, IMO. On LP's, McCarties, and any mahogany/maplecap type guitar. Even on strats, it balances great with hot single coils and always lets the character of the body wood to come through.
              I've never thought it sounded "scooped" on any solid guitar with good natural tone. Although, it may sound a tad bit hollow on a light or bright guitar like ash or poplar. The C-5's best attribute is it's tight and focused bass.
              If the mids of your guitar's wood and the mids on your amp are important to you, the C-5 brings them out loud and clear. I like it because it has vintage-like qualities, with almost as much oomph as a JB or CC.
              In my opinion, it should have been called the 59 Custom Bridge.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Gear, I do like the C-5 a lot and there is a good chance it will end up in my LP once again. The stock Burstbucker Pros are very nice, but there is a smooth quality that seems to be missing.

I am afraid the C-5 won't sound as aggressive as the BB Pro.

Did you have a chance to play the new LPs with B Pros? I remember you said you may have played a few at the local shop or two.

I agree the C-5 has smoe vintage quality but that can be good. In reality if I want a modern high gain tone.....I look more to the amp....not the pickups! I thin the vintage vs modern terminology with the pickup world may be used a little too often.

Comment

I have a C5 and 59b in my RG570 and a C4/59b in my Explorer. What a do it all combo! Have a C5 in my Strat too.. ; )
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

That's cool that you mated the C-4 to the Explorer, Bloodrose. Having tried a C-4 for awhile, I realize that it's like a C-5 but harder under the fingers and more articulate, which would be perfect for a big bodied mahogany guitar or even a 335 or something.
                    Pretty soon, I'm going to take the CC out of one of my pauls, since I feel it was beaten by the C-5's in my others. I'm going to turn it into a C-3....such a pain with nickelcovers too, so I hope its good! If I can narrow my favorites down to the C-5 and C-3, I'll be happy. Seymour brought up another interesting point at the Duncan Clinic when I asked him about A3 and A4. He still stands by 2's and 5's, but also pointed out that changing their magnetic strength (gaussing or degaussing) can be another option for dialing in the Customs. That would mean you could take a C-5 and sweeten it a bit by degaussing it's magnetic pull just a little. If I ever take a trip to Duncan, I'm going to approach Seymour with the idea of giving me 3 A-5 magnets, all with a slightly different gauss reading. Anal? Yes. LOL

Comment

Good idea Gearjonser! I suggested to Evan once about offering a Custom Customizer kit. Where they sell as a package a Duncan Custom and a spare A2 and A5 (at least) magnet. So you can try em all. He seemed to like the idea, (Am I correct Evan?) but Ive not heard any more about it.
                      I love the C5, but in the explorer I was having alil bit of loss of clarity whenever I had the pickup set high enough for maximum power. So but switching to the A4, I kept the same basic tone of the C5 but shaved just alittle off of the lows and highs. I works perfect.

Papersoul,
                      I didnt add to my first post something I think is important because I was in a rush. The thing I love about the C5 (besides its tone of course) is that in every different guitar, it lets the properties of the guitar come thru, but Im able to keep the same playing attack, touch whatever. Every axe has its own voice, but I dont have to modify my style each time I change. Harmonics come the same, etc. For example, I have a Tone zone in one of my other axes, but no matter what guitar I put it in, the guitar takes on the TZ sound. I dig it in the axe its in now, but my others, Im happier with the guitar's vibe coming thru.
                      Have fun!
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

BloodRose,

Good point on the guitars tone coming through. I am very tempted to eventually end my LP Standard's relationship with the Burstbucker Pros and install a covered C-5/59. I do like how smooth the C-5 happens to sound. Plus, I like that it covers so many styles of music.

We'll see if I actually bite on a set of PRS Dragon II pickups I've been eyeing.

Comment

I use the C5/59 in my Les Paul Custom, 1979 Silverburst. It's my sound.

I have had Duncan Distortion, EMG 85, Ultrasound and Gibson 57 Classic+ in this guitar since the stock model, but the C5 is staying in the bridge forever! The 59 neck is still somewhat new, but I like it just fine.
                          Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

One thing I am noticing guys is that an uncovered pickup seems to have more life and dynamics. I think I'll stick to open coil pickups from now on! Small but noticable.

Comment

Personally, I think Duncan should create a fullpage ad for Guitar Player magazine, dedicated to Les Paul Pickups. Have a picture of the Custom 5/59 nickel set, CC/APII, Antiquity set, the Seth Set, and the JB/Jazz set. Tout those as the heavyweight contenders from Duncan, and then stock the stores with them. Think about how many Les Pauls, Epis and other LP style guitars are sold. Capitalize on it!

Comment

Working...
                              X